Is Unix Millennium Bug | Y2K38 | still an issue?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Is Unix Millennium Bug | Y2K38 | still an issue?

Postby dedanna1029 » 02 Dec 2010, 21:13

I'm putting this here, because I believe it's an issue that all should be aware of that's possibly up and coming. It's educational, and a resulting discussion from it could be as well.

Is Unix Millennium Bug | Y2K38 | Year 2038 problem still an issue?
may cause some computer software to fail before or in the year 2038. The problem affects all software and systems that store system time as a signed 32-bit integer, and interpret this number as the number of seconds since 00:00:00 UTC on Thursday, 1 January 1970.[1] The furthest time that can be represented this way is 03:14:07 UTC on Tuesday, 19 January 2038.[2] Times beyond this moment will "wrap around" and be stored internally as a negative number, which these systems will interpret as a date in 1901 rather than 2038. This will likely cause problems for users of these systems due to erroneous calculations.

Further, while most programs will only be affected in or very close to 2038, programs that work with future dates will begin to run into problems much sooner. For example, a program that works with dates 20 years in the future will have to be fixed no later than in 2018.

Because most 32-bit Unix-like systems store and manipulate time in this format, it is usually called Unix time, and so the year 2038 problem is often referred to as the Unix Millennium Bug. However, any other non-Unix operating systems and software that store and manipulate time this way will be just as vulnerable.

With this having been said, he does go on to say in the last paragraph:
A search shows that a fix was found in 2008, but I thought the problem targeted almost all 32-bit systems & 64-bit systems like way Way WAY INTO THE FUTURE?!?

Fixed, or no? I think the answer is a bit ambiguous.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Is Unix Millennium Bug | Y2K38 | still an issue?

Postby viking60 » 03 Dec 2010, 00:15

Hmm I did not even know this was a problem. I will have to check it out now...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Linux education”