HandBrake and Open Source

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

rolf
Guru-Berserk

HandBrake and Open Source

Postby rolf » 19 Jul 2010, 17:55

So, I'm trying to manipulate television recordings I make with Kaffeine. Currently, a Farmer Joe's checker I know was interviewed on the local news and I want to make a cd/dvd of her interview and a label with a screen grab of her face to tease her with. (YAThankless task but someone's got to do it. :twisted: )

Last year, I found a howto for scraping recordings off the Comcast cable tuner/dvr via firewire and succeeded to make a similar dvd project of a news story about a high school acquaintance who had won the lottery, made a developmental success for himself in the nearby Sierra foothills town of Murphys. I recall that one of my clients (Songbird developer, btw) recommended Handbrake, that it worked for me and that I was impressed.

Now, I suspect it might help with my current project and am pleased that the 64-bit Fedora rpms of the latest release install, currently doing a trial encoding @~ 180% cpu, had to crank up the side case fan to hold the core temperatures down! 8-) I have recorded several half-hour weekend airings of that channel's news program, where they typically re-run stuff from during the week. I am hopeful this story will be included, that I can cut it out from the 30 minutes of video, and make the target optical disk.

While I welcome any intel on this project, I was impressed by the intelligence that permeates the website and a bit of insight from a developer that clarifies OS/Linux philosophy, so I post it here.

HandBrake Wiki wrote:HandBrake and Open Source ¶

an essay by rhester

As the number of new feature requests for HandBrake has risen dramatically in the past few weeks, I consider it prudent to remind end-users of what open source is - and isn't.

Open source is:

* A means to encourage software innovation among diverse groups of programmers
* A policy of open inspection and analysis of source code, both to educate and provide a means for constructive criticism
* A means by which programmers can "scratch their itch" for mental stimulation while at the same time solving computing problems that are frequently applicable even to non-technical users
* Free, both intellectually and in terms of cost

Open source is not:

* A way to get commercial-quality support at no charge
* A free-for-all forum to ask for pie-in-the-sky software features and expect them to be implemented as requested and with no delay
* An invitation to harass and otherwise frustrate a small and dedicated development staff because they didn't do what you wanted

Open source software is exactly what it sounds like: It's software written by a (usually small) group of highly-dedicated people that solved particular problems they themselves had and thought others might find useful as well. Like most things that are free, it comes with no warranty: If it does what you want, that's great - that's exactly why it was offered to you. If not, you have the freedom of choice to either modify it to suit your desires or find another software package that more closely meets your needs.

As I stated in another thread (and alluded to again here), the features you find in any open source software package are there because at least one programmer needed them and implemented them to meet their needs (more forward-thinking programmers often at least attempt to make them flexible enough to work for others with similar needs as well).

I am aware of no open source software either currently or previously available that catered to the needs, whims, or desires of end-users. That isn't what it's about. If you want the freedom to tell someone what you want and expect them to do it, that's called commercial software, where you make your intentions known with your purchasing decisions and vote with your wallet. That is not open source.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: HandBrake and Open Source

Postby viking60 » 19 Jul 2010, 18:36

Nice! :s
For the Arch users amongst us; you will find Handbrake 0.9.4-3 and Handbrake-cli 0.9.4-3 in the extra repositories.
That should save you a lot of problems that only gurus can handle. :D
I am going to give it a spin now of course :!:
Rolf I take it that you are aware of cinelerra (being a guru and all)? It is in the Mandriva repos.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 19 Jul 2010, 18:50

At the risk of losing guru status (which, imo, was a bit or a lot inflated, to begin with!), I've heard of cinelerra, might have even opened it, but haven't been able to accomplish anything with it. Feel free to elaborate, med pannekaker , vennligst +1

As a followup, I installed it and loaded the Handbrake .mp4 encoding of Kaffeine's mpeg stream of a Perry Mason episode. I can select and cut parts, then export to other containers, so it looks promising, thanks for the pointer! :s

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 19 Jul 2010, 20:10

Here is a great tutorial.
http://robfisher.net/linux/video/cinelerra1.html

I have Managed to edit some old videos of me in Lederhosen from 1968. But I am still learning. I have the whole enchilada in Cinelerra but HTF do I get it on to a DVD - that is my current struggle.
It is a folder containing a lot of files and in my mind I would like to make an ISO or something so that I can play the DVD anywhere.
(Originally I ripped the folders from a DVD).

And your Guru status remains - It is not up to you to doubt decisions made in Valhal :T . No pannakaker today due to bad behavior - you get vann og brød. :mrgreen:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 19 Jul 2010, 20:38

I like vann og brød, med lønnesirup! Image

Doing some forensics on my files from that time, it seems I used dvdauthor and growisofs with the -dvd-compat switch to enhance compatibility with different players. I see some Kino files there, also. Thanks for the link. I'll get back if I figure something out. :)

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 19 Jul 2010, 23:12

viking60 wrote:Nice! :s
For the Arch users amongst us; you will find Handbrake 0.9.4-3 and Handbrake-cli 0.9.4-3 in the extra repositories..

Already been on that for ages. Cinelera, Rosegarden, the works. In Arch, as I tend to grab them from any distro that I install. Handbrake too.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 23 Jul 2010, 20:18

A little progress. I've made a usable video DVD using dvdstyler. My original file was an flv from the news channel website. I had made a lot of attempts with transcoders, in Mandriva and in XP, then using the resultant avi or mpeg in VCD burning software, which is not portable to dvd players, btw. I got some trial versions of XP dvd authoring software and that did a pretty sophisticated job, with automatic background taken from my video file and simple menu with play button. The video had some artifacts, was a bit choppy, however.

Finally, I installed dvdstyler and started my random-click style of learning the new program. I was surprised to find it would accept the original flash file, which will simplify matters and eliminate errors introduced by transcoding. There are unfamiliar choices for menu, background, buttons, etc. that I can learn about. As it is, I made one 'play' button and chose a nice lake landscape for the background. I found that, in this locale, dvd-ntsc would be more likely to work well on players, while dvd-pal is for European players, so I configured that. Also, I was careful to set aspect ratio to that of the flash video, 4:3. Then, there are choices, including create an iso or burn the dvd. I selected to burn this project, and it did. I found it played quite nicely on my PS3, with the 'play' button functional, the lake background and all. The fidelity was as good as the original flash movie: not great but as good as it gets. So, I think this is a good program for an inexperienced user, at least for this project.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 23 Jul 2010, 22:43

rolf, did you try tovid at all?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Jul 2010, 00:00

Keep it up rolf - real time experiences are always valued. Will have a look at tovid now. I mean to start on my video project soon.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Jul 2010, 03:26

Will start a new thread on it someday, but my fav combo still to this day is tovid and dvdstyler...

Code: Select all

tovid -in <filenamewithextension> -out <filenamewithoutextension>

... not in Fedora repos. Will have to ream them for it. :D

Code: Select all

$ yum search tovid
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
Warning: No matches found for: tovid
No Matches found

... For shame. *passes the Fedora devels Germ's pointy stick :mrgreen: LOL

Just for Rolf there. :) Hugs I<3YOU!

We need a heart smilie I swear...
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Linux education”