Is it Windows 7 or KDE4?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Is it Windows 7 or KDE4?

Postby viking60 » 21 Apr 2010, 23:16

Is it Windows or Linux? :shock:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Is it Windows 7 or KDE4?

Postby dedanna1029 » 21 Apr 2010, 23:31

Yeah, that's my issue with linux in general right now. I don't want windows, and didn't get into linux to be another windows fanboi. I've said this all along.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 21 Apr 2010, 23:35

Sure you are a purist. But it sure is strange that more Windows users cannot be won over. If you call it Windows people would take it home right away.
You can still have your clean Linux that is the beauty of it - kind of :idea:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 21 Apr 2010, 23:56

Actually, to be honest, I quite like Windows 7 Pro, which was obtained for me at work. Since the computer I was on was total garbage and wouldn't perform in hardly any way for my job, under the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, I was given a new computer with Windows 7 Pro on it. I really like it. The computer boots in no more than 15 seconds, and it runs like a champ getting things done that I need to in our database. So, I'm not all that much of a purist unless you mean in the regard that I want to know what OS I'm running. I think Linux should be Linux, and Windows should be Windows. In that way, yes, I'm a purist. :)

I just would never run Windows at home again.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 22 Apr 2010, 00:42

Ah I see - you are advocating apartheid ;) Why can't windows and Linux work together? I have win7 Ultimate in dualboot with Mandriva 64bit on this box. I hardly ever log in to Windows7. It boots as fast as Mandriva though.
I do much programing in XP on virtualbox. Not all software is available under Linux. But Win7 is not bad - I just like Mandriva better.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 22 Apr 2010, 01:02

Well, yeah, I am. I am way too afraid of things happening if Linux becomes too much like Windows (the same reasons I won't use Windows at home). Gotta have an AV, gotta have a spybot cleaner, gotta put up with totally insecure software, y'know? I think that's a lot of what it's boiled down to. Also, backwards compatibility with Windows sucks; with Linux I could be running a '98 machine with 10Mbs ram or something, and still be able to run. Sure, there may be a couple of things left that one can do on Windows that they can't on Linux, but insofar as personal computing for me is, I just make do without them. They're not things that are all-fired important to me. I realize they may be to others, but not here. It's a small sacrifice to me to do without them, in order to be able to run Linux.

Also... Windows just doesn't challenge me like Linux does. I'm not talking just bugs and things like that, but it's always a challenge to do something new with Linux. With Windows, it's boring. Point, shoot 'n click like Smith 'n Wesson. I think that turns me off more than anything. With Linux there's always choice; with Windows there's never choice. I mean choice of different distributions, choice of different programs, choice of the way one can do things, the list goes on and on. With Windows, it's their one way or the highway. *boring*

Edit: If you had seen a place where I used to work, SEI, then you'd see maybe why Windows is boring to me. At SEI, it was a help desk for various corporations (I was on the McDonalds team). There was always a lot of brainstorming going on, I mean really intense brainstorming. I see that somewhat with Linux. I don't see it with Windows. That's the best analogy I can think of.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 22 Apr 2010, 01:56

Very good and convincing points there dedanna. It all makes sense. I fell very much like that, but Linux needs more followers and for that the Windows approach above might be just fine. It still is Linux, it is just a question of mentality and marketing.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Jun 2010, 05:20

Moved to Linux Education - this isn't an Audio/Video issue LOL. It's a leftover from the initial days, when we didn't have the categories set up yet.

Wondering how many more I'll find here 'n there.
No gods, no masters.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 19 Aug 2010, 01:57

indeed some people are tired of windows but they are too afraid to try linux yet
I set up a few systems they can borrow to try out but just about have to babysit them
one system i set up with vector 6.0 for a workmates kids.
and she said they (the kids)dont even touch the windows machine anymore.
gotta start them young!
I still use windows at work because that's all they have
but I also have an old lappy with pclinuxos kde i use at work too
its starting to get them interested and it helps that its free also
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

Return to “Linux education”