Using Windows and want to try Linux?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Using Windows and want to try Linux?

Postby viking60 » 16 Apr 2010, 15:26

The easiest Linux distribution? What to choose?
If you are completely blank you can check out this site
Check it out and post what it suggest to you here; then we can help you out further.

Mageia has control panel automatic updates and tons of free software that you can download.
The most popular Linux distro is Ubuntu. The likelihood of getting help in forums etc is better in Ubuntu's case.

It is a good idea if you have Vista, or newer, to right click on «Computer»
Select «Manage»
Select «Storage» -> «Disk Management»

Here you can reduce the size of your disk with 30 GB. (Feel free to take more space, as much as you can - you will probably not need Win anymore anyway :D)
This space is now free and unformatted.

Download Mageia or Ubuntu (or any other Linux distribution for that matter) and Burn the ISO file to a CD/DVD with http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ (it is a free program that burns iso files (images) to your CD/DVD.

Put the DVD or CD in your PC and restart
Linux starts and you can now answer some very simple questions (Language,Keyboard etc).
You can now choose to run Linux from the CD/DVD or if you want to install it directly.
(It does not matter what you choose to do here, you can always install later after having given Linux a spin).

During install select «Use the largest continuous free space».
Instructions on installing Mandriva are here:
http://doc.mandriva.com/en/2009/Introducing/Introducing.html/drakx-intro.html#d5...
Ubuntu are here:
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm?pag...

If you have chosen Mandriva you can skip the first step here and just burn the DVD and start it.
You will be prompted where to install it, including the option of installing it on the free space of your Windows installation! As described here:
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Installing_Mandriva_Linux

But if you have been following the steps here you should select «use free space».
Both systems make a nice startup menu where you can select if you want to start Windows or Linux

It's that easy!
Good luck.

Questions? You know where we are – don't be shy.
All of us have more Windows experience than the average Windows user - and we are really nice. :D
Edit:
If you have a Window 8 or 10 computer check here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Re: Using Windows and want to try Linux?

Postby rolf » 22 Apr 2010, 02:42

I just want to say, "Nice post!" :s

A few alternate points,

1. I, for one, only used W98 for a couple of months before I switched to Mandrake a little over 10 years ago. I've always had a Windows installation in dual boot, XP Pro, currently, but only visit it occasionally.
  2. I tend to think Live CD is a good test drive but it is better to do a DVD, hard disk or network installation from fuller sources, as the excellent wiki page you link details. Personally, I like the # 2.2 Booting the installer direct from a hard disk - Linux method, pointing it at the DVD iso. The file transfer is much faster on the hard drive as opposed to using optical media. There's some bug where the iso is not configured for use after installation but the files could be extracted and added as a media source, there's probably some way to mount the iso in post-install configuration, but I've got dsl and adding a local ftp mirror works for my purposes.
  3. I wrote a howto long ago, as I used to like using hd.img on a floppy to boot the installer, and it probably still has a few relevant tips: Mandriva Hard Disk Install

Keep up the good work, Über-Berserk!

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 22 Apr 2010, 11:38

rolf wrote:I just want to say, "Nice post!" :s

A few alternate points,

1. I, for one, only used W98 for a couple of months before I switched to Mandrake a little over 10 years ago. I've always had a Windows installation in dual boot, XP Pro, currently, but only visit it occasionally.
  2. I tend to think Live CD is a good test drive but it is better to do a DVD, hard disk or network installation from fuller sources, as the excellent wiki page you link details. Personally, I like the # 2.2 Booting the installer direct from a hard disk - Linux method, pointing it at the DVD iso. The file transfer is much faster on the hard drive as opposed to using optical media. There's some bug where the iso is not configured for use after installation but the files could be extracted and added as a media source, there's probably some way to mount the iso in post-install configuration, but I've got dsl and adding a local ftp mirror works for my purposes.
  3. I wrote a howto long ago, as I used to like using hd.img on a floppy to boot the installer, and it probably still has a few relevant tips: Mandriva Hard Disk Install

Keep up the good work, Über-Berserk!

Coming from a Guru-Berserk that is a compliment :D
I find that XP is working well in Virtualbox (I don't do gaming there). I use it for programing mostly. I also prefer DVD with fuller sources no doubt about that.
I think your tutorial is really professional and still very useful. Thanks for sharing.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 22 Apr 2010, 14:45

Goes to show how many different ways there are to do things in Linux. I do net installs off the boot.iso (almost) every time. If I don't have that option with a distribution, I get its full dvd and install from that - agreed with Rolf on it. One cds IMHO are great demos to run things live, but I don't think they make very good installation media. I don't think new users would be savvy enough to use the iso method or net installation method either; best for them to use the dvd. Less issues to run into after installation that way for them.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Sep 2011, 14:11

Here are some good tips for dualbooting:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/09/21/ti ... and-linux/

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Sep 2011, 20:20

Main rules for dual booting (and I think they would stay for all time):

1) Install Windows first, after running a thorough, full scandisk and defrag, making sure it's error-free and tight.

2) Immediately after doing #1, install the distro you want to install in the free space or on a separate drive, let it take over the bootloader. If you don't, bend over.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 21 Apr 2012, 12:27

To put any Linux on a USB-stick you can use LinuxLive USB Creator
This is an easy to use Windows program +1

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 21 Apr 2012, 14:48

dedanna1029 wrote:Main rules for dual booting (and I think they would stay for all time):

1) Install Windows first, after running a thorough, full scandisk and defrag, making sure it's error-free and tight.

2) Immediately after doing #1, install the distro you want to install in the free space or on a separate drive, let it take over the bootloader. If you don't, bend over.

+1

My exact procedure for ages :s

Not need to get into driver installs and all that nonsense; that can be done later.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 21 Jun 2016, 19:23

I think this comparison describes the differences between the OS's well :

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Jun 2016, 18:17

*sniggers
Yep, except you forgot something for Windows.

No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 28 Jun 2016, 01:50

:lolup

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 02 Jul 2016, 04:27

:wink:
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Linux education”