Android

We support it, we talk about it and we love it

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Android

Postby viking60 » 05 Oct 2011, 14:21

ImageAndroid i a Linux system developed by Google and by far the most popular OS for mobile phones. Now Google is very generous about this here:
Here you can find the information and source code you need to build an Android-compatible device.

Android is an open-source software stack for mobile devices, and a corresponding open-source project led by Google. We created Android in response to our own experiences launching mobile apps. We wanted to make sure that there was no central point of failure, so that no industry player can restrict or control the innovations of any other. That's why we created Android, and made its source code open.

Learn more »

Aha! So that is why Google created Android and generously made its source code open. I have got it now. Silly me I thought Googles generosity, or lack thereof, did not matter since the GPL license of the Linux kernel demands that anyway?

Still this is one of the greatest Linux successes ever and that is a good thing for Linux as a whole. And boy has it been proven that Linux is commercially interesting. You can make a sh.. load of money on it! Google has! +1
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

jemadux
Viking

Re: Android

Postby jemadux » 31 Dec 2011, 12:08

but viking android is not free OS ... I got Vodafone 875 but in want to edit the file
/etc/hosts
but I can't save it with root priveleges

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Jan 2012, 23:42

It took a while but it is out now:.
http://groups.google.com/group/android- ... 455a?pli=1
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Feb 2012, 18:33

I have just purchased an Android last week. It's the most bad-ass phone in the world, IMO. It's the Samsung Gravity Smart Lunar Gray.

This thing does everything for me, and I mean everything, and it suits all of my needs and then some (and they are quite extensive right now, not having inet at home). I can also do whatever I want with it.

There's no going back now. No matter what you say. lol.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Feb 2012, 11:23

ImageYes it is a "looker" and clearly one of the best. I know that you don't care much for your privacy as long as you get stuff for free, so you don't mind Google demanding your cell phone number and gmail on every occation to be able to monitor you better.
With that exeption; this is truly a great phone and a great OS. :s

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 12 Feb 2012, 16:23

Congrats. :B When I think how my little old Treo 755p, warts and all, eventually connects me to so many resources, like phones, (slow, crippled) internet, google searches, google maps (with turn by turn driving directions), yes, texts, even as occasional modem for my EEE-PC with USB Modem, I am grateful, hold off for a little while longer from upgrading to the Android that Sprint dangles before me but comes with the premium of higher monthly charges.

Nonetheless, the droids are pretty amazing. GF has the Evo 4G but I try to keep my fiddling fingers out of it, let it be completely her machine. I was annoyed by the forced google account sign-up, which got us confused with forgotten password and difficulty dealing with google to reset it. So, we made another account but the address book sync is attached to the first account and I haven't figured out how to get the sync right, which would be handy if the phone bricks, so we limp along, in some respects. Mostly, she enjoys it.

Still, it looks like a very capable machine and I think I'll have one, some day. :berserk2 Have fun with it!

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 15 Feb 2012, 02:12

I didn't have to put in my google addy, but did so because there were some perks to doing so. Meh, who cares, we're not going to be really private again in our lifetimes anyway. If you don't want it public, don't post it anywhere, and that which I don't want public, I don't. That's the deal. You want privacy? Take care of it.

That's a concept btw, which a LOT of people don't seem to "get" these days. If you don't want it public, don't put it online. Simple as that. Hell, FB is wanting our cell phone numbers, people put the damn things in their profile, then say "well, I only put it visible to friends" when they start getting death threats on their cell phones.

Last I checked, the rule is DON'T PUT PERSONAL INFORMATION OUT ONLINE. PERIOD.

You can do this. Anyone can. If you can keep not posted online, then there's nothing to bitch about, in losing privacy, because you're not losing any.

My cell phone number is not posted anywhere, my bills aren't, my address isn't (except at times), nothing is, and I got no problems. What's y'all's problem?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 15 Feb 2012, 12:04

I am going to pull a John McEnroe now:
You cannot be serious!

It does not matter what you publish - I can do it - your daughter - anybody.
It is the numbness towards those who spy on you that is the most dangerous thing about this. It is the good old fashioned fighting for your rights. If no one opposes wrongs -because it does not matter - then it will escalate.

May I suggest that you stop fighting for womens rights for the same reason. It is not going to help anyway?

Just say yes massa - and be nice and comfortably numb. Yeah that is the way to treat it! :berserk2

Enjoy your phone, but be aware - that is all I ask.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Feb 2012, 00:55

Being numb to it is far from what I am advocating for here. My point is that we can all take precautions against it to keep ourselves protected, and should. If we don't take sensible precautions and then bitch when we're hacked, then what does that make us? As I said, it's posted all over the internet itself, even, do NOT post personal information online for safety reasons, anyway!
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 17 Feb 2012, 01:38

+1

Return to “Open source”