Webrtc leaks your IP even with VPN

Well its a networking forum.... #"@! Atheros drivers...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Webrtc leaks your IP even with VPN

Postby viking60 » 09 Jun 2016, 10:37

Webrtc is this free and open Google project that will enhance Real Time Communication.
It also will leak your true IP even if you are using VPN :naughty:
WebRTC is a communication protocol that relies on JavaScript that can leak your actual IP address from behind your VPN. While software like NoScript prevents this, it's probably a good idea to block this protocol directly as well, just to be safe. This page will test if your internet browser is affected by the WebRTC Leak.

This demo secretly makes requests to STUN servers that can log your request. These requests do not show up in developer consoles and cannot be blocked by browser plugins like AdBlock, Ghostery, etc.

And that will kind of make all the money you use on VPN.. wasted.

There is a plugin in Firefox that will turn off Webrtc for you it is called WebRTC search for it and install it +1 you can then turn on or off Webrtc as you like.

Tho check if you are "leaking" go here:
:A
https://www.privacytools.io/webrtc.html

With the extension active you will see no IP and when you turn it off - your IP's will be there.

I tested my Betternet VPN plugin and found out that it was not working at all! - It indicated that it was active but it was not so those VPN Browser-plugins are not very reliable.

With my real VPN configured with OpenVpn and NM - and service provided by cryptstorm -WebRTC would not leak my real IP - only the one provided by the VPN service so I did not need the Webrtc plugin for that. :s
But my internal IP's were leaked (10.0.0.10 and 192.128. etc) - these were hidden with the Webrtc extension activated.

So with Cryptstorm VPN and Dnscrypt; Webrtc will not leak your IP only your internal IP's. With WebRTC addon it will leak nothing.

If you use the WebRTC Network limiter plugin in Chromium and set it to "Best Network experience" then it will leak everything even if Betternet is activated.
Use the "proxy if present" option and Nothing will leak.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Webrtc leaks your IP even with VPN

Postby viking60 » 29 Oct 2016, 15:46

I have tested the Windscribe plugin for Chromium and it does not leak at all.

Windscribe gets good reviews:
:A
https://www.bestvpn.com/best-free-vpn-services/
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

MaximusWoods

Re: Webrtc leaks your IP even with VPN

Postby MaximusWoods » 07 Mar 2017, 14:52

Image Original IP isn't there, it's the provider's IP that's showing here ivacy vpn in this case.) Configured it manually through credentials and a dialer. Looks safe to me at least.

Return to “Networking”