A real eye-opener (Facebook)

Well its a networking forum.... #"@! Atheros drivers...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

A real eye-opener (Facebook)

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Jul 2013, 21:23

I believe that the social media garbage out there qualifies as a "network", so it's being placed here.

If you're on Facebook, get set for a real eye-opener, and surprises that not even we at bjoernvold were aware of here. Get aware.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: A real eye-opener (Facebook)

Postby viking60 » 07 Jul 2013, 22:34

Good find!
People are being abused. And on top of it all information about you is collected and structured - even if you have removed your account.
Some "friend" that wants to contact you is enough:

I once started the registration procedure and broke it off because I did not accept the terms.

After that Facebook spammed me with friends that wanted to contact me etc... And I had no functioning account.

I complained about it and demanded that all data about me should be deleted.

Facebook had a routine for that - I only had to register first.... :f

Yeah right - register on a site that has unacceptable terms - Why did they think I broke it off?

I expressed my views to the Norwegian data authorities (Datatilsynet) who have a sensible view on this - and thus are constantly ignored by the government.

And they advised me to complain to Facebook Ireland - and they were not certain what laws would regulate this - The Irish law or the Norwegian.

That is the vacuum in which these companies operate - and they seem to be exploiting it .

In any case my complaints had gotten some attention so I got a mail that my data would be deleted without me providing any more personal data.

I am fairly sure that according to Irish and EU legislation the Irish company Facebook is not allowed to share the Facebook data with third anonymous parties.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: A real eye-opener (Facebook)

Postby R_Head » 08 Jul 2013, 18:17

I saw that since the day was launched.

That is why I did not drinked the Kool-Aid.

Return to “Networking”