[solved, info obtained] Bluetooth?

Well its a networking forum.... #"@! Atheros drivers...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

[solved, info obtained] Bluetooth?

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Feb 2012, 00:14

A first for this kid. How to set up bluetooth (cell phone/computer pairing)? Not sure if I have the right equipment for it to begin with. My desktop computer has no wireless hardware. My netbook is set up for bluetooth, but so far it's not flying (but then, I never claimed to be great with windows these days. Am not really able to find it). What all is necessary hardware-wise?

Thanks.
Last edited by dedanna1029 on 10 Mar 2012, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Bluetooth?

Postby dedanna1029 » 10 Mar 2012, 18:43

hhmmm... I am assuming that no one here uses bluetooth.

I'll go check this out elsewhere, thanks.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 10 Mar 2012, 19:56

Well, I'm in KDE, have a desktop with no native bluetooth, and it's been hit or miss with various hardware/software combinations.

On the software, the one that seems most mature, works best with my setup is bluedevil.

On the hardware, I've gone through a variety of usb bluetooth dongles. I think the software development has led to greater functionality and compatibility over the period of time when I've been trying to set bluetooth up with my phone. Currently, what I am using is identified after issuing 'lsusb', as root, as:

0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

There are many hits at google on this string and I suspect the older reports of failure might have to do with older/various bluetooth software.
One list with this dongle on it: http://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Bluetooth

It can be hit and miss but I would go from shopping for a dongle, search for Linux compatibility, buy it, try it.

Your phone will have documentation for bluetooth pairing. Capabilities and steps to pair will vary, phone to phone.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 10 Mar 2012, 21:57

It is real easy.
If you have bluetooth, you must activate it on both ends. Your phone will discover the lap. Nothing special.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 10 Mar 2012, 22:40

Tried that, viking. It sat there and span its wheels and never went anywhere on the computer. The phone tried, couldn't get there. This is with my desktop computer. I used the proggie that comes with Gnome (can't recall the name of it, and I'm not there now to check; will do so later).

I think rolf may be right - I may have the wrong usb dongle for this (was using the one that came with my phone). I may have to look a bit harder into my phone's documentation.

Edit: I found what the issue is. I was right when I thought I was missing hardware. See here (and this is why I asked about it specifically; you people probably don't notice it because you have updated computers with it, so don't have to think about it):
Besides having a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone, you need to have a Bluetooth connection for your computer. Many newer laptops come with an internal Bluetooth card, although most desktops do not. If you don't have built-in Bluetooth capability, you need to purchase some sort of Bluetooth transmitter. The most common are USB 1.1 and 2.0 dongles, which are available from retail electronics outlets and mobile phone vendors.

I need to go get the dongle that rolf spoke of. I thought what I had with my phone was one (not knowing about these things, again is why I asked, thanks rolf), but obviously it isn't.

I do know my netbook is bluetooth-enabled and capable (I have the internal with it; a friend showed it to me on it), but I haven't tried to pair with it yet.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Networking”