Domain Registration

Well its a networking forum.... #"@! Atheros drivers...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Domain Registration

Postby rolf » 07 Dec 2011, 14:51

We've got lanlesalon.com registered with domain.com, registration renewal is coming up, and I wonder if there is some wisdom, hereabouts, wrt registrars, features, prices.

When I start to go through the process of renewal, there is a barrage of up-sell screens, not the end of the world, but it tends to make me pay more attention to the devil I'm getting in bed with. There is one charge I am already paying, about $9/year, that obscures my email, home address, etc. from the public whois records. There is a go-between email service that would get any message to me but I think this might be good to not expose where I have an email account to potential hackers, not that I can imagine why someone would want to do this but what I cannot imagine does not stand in the way of criminals, realistically, just saying.

Then, there is another "service" to protect our domain name from being hijacked by hackers, as I understand it. :confused

NameSafe. :think: :wrf It looks to this complete networking tyro that this sort of protection is part of what the registrar ought to provide, simple password-protected access, such as I undergo to pay them, as part of the basic service?

So, not choosing that, keeping the public whois anonymizer feature, I get this:

My expectations are not too high but I thought better to check in, ask for advice about services, possibly, better registrars, before signing off on this deal.

Thanks! :greetings

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Domain Registration

Postby viking60 » 07 Dec 2011, 23:12

Well my experience is that it is difficult to transfer domain names (not impossible, but the loosing part has to be involved and they tend to have other priorities).

The whois info security stuff is to put less info in the whois listing.
http://hfwdomains.com/
Is a service that works ok but they seem to be more expensive than your alternative so you might be well off.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 07 Dec 2011, 23:25

Ok, thanks. It looks like I waited too long to make the switch for the next period. In this last minute, I found a recommendation at dslreports.com for a registrar that looks pretty user-friendly, has some walk-through and faq about changing domains, more info than I see at domain.com.

See: Image Maybe next time. :-D

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 07 Dec 2011, 23:48

It looks cheap enough.
If you don't fall on your back I might switch myself. Keep me posted.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 07 Dec 2011, 23:52

From what I've seen, I can't transfer within 60 days of starting a fresh subscription/renewal or too close to the subscription ending. 3 days is all that I have left, that is stated as a minimum but there is no guarantee; more than one week waiting does not seem unusual. So, if I switch in future, I will try to remember to make a report. :greetings

shyam

Postby shyam » 24 Dec 2011, 04:00

hi i tried free domain registration in many sites but i cant get exact thing
what i prefer .then one of my friend guide me to visit here http://www.zippozap.com/ here they provide domain
registration service through this site xnynz in which we can register our domains here if we register
5 or more domain then they will provide us free private registration .we can appraise our domain from
zippozap i felt happy with their service.

Return to “Networking”