NETGEAR Announces WNR3500L Open Source Gigabit Router

Well its a networking forum.... #"@! Atheros drivers...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

rolf
Guru-Berserk

NETGEAR Announces WNR3500L Open Source Gigabit Router

Postby rolf » 01 Dec 2011, 16:55

Welcome to two years ago! :berserkf

NETGEAR Announces WNR3500L Open Source Gigabit Router & Development Partner Program

SAN JOSE, Calif. — October 5, 2009 — NETGEAR®, Inc. (NASDAQGM: NTGR), a worldwide provider of technologically innovative, branded networking solutions, today announced the launch of RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router with USB (WNR3500L), a full-featured Wireless-N router offering high-performance wireless range and speed along with Gigabit Ethernet ports and ReadyShareTM USB storage access.

The RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router with USB is also designed to serve as a reliable, high-performance open source Linux® platform supporting a wide variety of applications created by multiple development partners and the dedicated open source community. Some of these partners include BigFoot Networks for boosting network speeds for online gaming, Leaf Networks for easy remote access, Paragon Software for high-speed USB file reads and writes, and Sputnik for hotspot solutions.

The most popular free, open source Linux-based firmware — DD-WRT, OpenWRT and Tomato — are also available on the RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router, making it easier for users to develop a wide variety of applications. Customers can download the Linux-based open source firmware from the open source community and development program web site at http://www.myopenrouter.com.

I just saw this and thought it was cool. 8-) About this long ago, I was taking pains to get a firmware-updatable Linksys WRT54GL
I've installed Tomato and have been quite the happy netadmin newbie with how it's worked for me.
It was heartening and thrilling to see this particular story about Open Source in the commercial wild, to be had for under $70 at Newegg or, even, Walmart, albeit I can't find a peep about Linux, there. :roll:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: NETGEAR Announces WNR3500L Open Source Gigabit Router

Postby viking60 » 01 Dec 2011, 18:17

Yeah you are way ahead of them as it is fitting for Berserks :berserkf
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Networking”