iftop mania

Well its a networking forum.... #"@! Atheros drivers...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

rolf
Guru-Berserk

iftop mania

Postby rolf » 19 May 2011, 19:32

So, I thought a page load in Seamonkey was remarkably laggy and thought to find a way to 'monitor network traffic in linux' per http://www.google.com

I landed on iftop, installed it, and ran it. I have a dsl service from Earthlink served to LAN via Linksys wired/wireless capabilities. There is my desktop, Mandriva loaded atm, the thin client running Puppy Linux for the salon webserver, the PS3, powered down atm, and DirecTV satellite tuner all wired into the router.

I found a communication with google by doing 'whois' on an ip in the iftop display, possibly because of the open search pages, some directv hosts, understandable, then a lot of connections to a mysterious 'xp-pro' host. That had me worried about a hack to the wireless or some malware. I disconnected the PS3 and the tv, killed the bitcoin daemon, which I've just started to play with, closed Seamonkey but there was always something going on with 'xp-pro'.

Finally, I logged into the Tomato firmware on the router and found my desktop nic was called xp-pro. I've found that Windows can have effects on hardware that persist through a reboot into Linux and wonder if this is why. :confused

p.s. how to do thumbnails, linked to full-size image, iirc? :C

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: iftop mania

Postby viking60 » 19 May 2011, 23:03

By desktop nic you men computer name in Windows? I have speedtouch and it tends to just remember the name from the first time it awards an IP. So I configure my PC's to use a fixed IP and alter the name in the router software after that. It has confused me more than one time.
Thumbnail and iirc is not my strong point :confused
He that iftop stuff is great I didn't know about that so now I have to find out why there is traffic to Amazone when I try to contact my server (ec2-184-73-232-86.compute-1.amazonaws.com ) - thanks for the tip.
Edit: I think it might be the Tor installation; one of the many loops to secure some poor bastards safe surfing.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 19 May 2011, 23:07

rolf wrote:p.s. how to do thumbnails, linked to full-size image, iirc? :C

http://imageshack.us/ - after images are uploaded, click "My Images". Once there, click on the images you want to post, to where there is an orange border around them, then click "Get code for forums" (you do need to be registered to have "My Images"), copy/paste the code that's given to you into the post here.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 19 May 2011, 23:26

Well, in my desktop, there are two nics (network interface cards) aka ethernet cards and one is connected to the router. This one is called xp-pro in the router gui @ http://192.168.1.1/
I installed the router and configured from my desktop while booted to Mandriva, so can't think of how it got to be known as xp-pro, unless Windows did that when I booted to my xp pro installation. :think:

This is what I see in the router, where I don't see a way to change the name, and, also, what I mean by the thumbnails iirc, thanks @ dedanna:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 20 May 2011, 01:10

This looks familiar. When in Windows you probably get auto dhcpd so your router does what it is asked and provides the next free IP (192.168.0.X).
Also it takes over the computer name (which probably is different it Windows than in Mandriva right?). When back in Mandriva it recognizes the mac adress or some other parameter so it just gives the same IP to Mandriva but it keeps the name from Windows.
Also some router are real moody regarding this - I have a hard time getting a server to stay on the net with DynDns because it changes all the time (mystery).
I can change the names in Network->Units on my box but be warned that name might be "awarded" to another computer if you have auto dhcpd.
Which probably is partly the case here (same computer though if I read you correctly).
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Networking”