MS blames government for Wannacry(pt)

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

MS blames government for Wannacry(pt)

Postby viking60 » 15 May 2017, 11:00

The Ransomware Wannacry(pt) was originally created by the NSA to exploit weaknesses in Windows.
Now Microsoft criticizes the Authorities for seeking out weaknesses in their Operative system and to make and store exploits/hacks.
This is not a good idea according to Microsoft and the practice is partly to blame for the current spreading of Wannacry which is one of the most significant cyberattacks ever recorded.

Microsoft seems to be worried about the governments acting as hackers and want them to agree on some ground rules for cyber war; like the Geneva conventions.

In any case the authorities should share the found weaknesses with Microsoft so they can be patched rather than storing them as a weapon to use.
Instead of developing hacking tools in secret and holding them for use against adversaries, governments and intelligence agencies should share weaknesses they find with Microsoft and other software makers so that vulnerabilities can be repaired

Microsoft go as far as they can in criticizing the governments of the world - including (and especially) the US:
The governments of the world should treat this attack as a wake-up call,” Smith said. “They need to take a different approach and adhere in cyberspace to the same rules applied to weapons in the physical world.

If one should speculate; it would seem that Microsoft is uncomfortable with being reigned by a government that systematically hacks and exploits their system; a system they need to deliver world wide.
If the US governments wants Microsoft "in" on an exploit they can simply instruct them which is not that far fetched given the recent history...

That spells bad business to Microsoft.

If you are infected use this MS bulletin

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: MS blames government for Wannacry(pt)

Postby R_Head » 15 May 2017, 16:21

I think is very odd, the problem was way more severe overseas than in the USA... it makes you wonder.

My take is; MS is part of the Malware, in the same way the Gov forced tech companies to give them a backdoor to mobile devices. The Gov is too stupid and lazy to come up with such thing. A contractor along with MS was developed. If MS Defender is so good... why was not detected?

Now, here is some that might be a stretch; an idea to keep in mind. A warning shot to the world on what nation is in control.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 May 2017, 18:33

To the OP:
Well, if M$ didn't SUCK so bad, and wasn't such an epic fail at security, then maybe things like this wouldn't happen. THEY had the weakness in the first place, and the NSA itself is such a security hole itself...
They both need to eff off.
I no longer blame Windows users. They paid a lot of money for a POS, expecting it to "just work."
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 16 May 2017, 21:59

Yes the users cannot be blamed. Windows is forced upon them with buying hardware. They might not even know about anything else than Windows.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 May 2017, 22:05

Exactly, because MS is so greedy that they will inundate the market with whatever line of bullshit they have to.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Win News”