Windows 10 with bash shell

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Windows 10 with bash shell

Postby viking60 » 11 Apr 2016, 15:05

You can use bash on Windows 10!

Canonical and Microsoft have cooperated so that you can use bash in Windows 10.

Popular stuff like ssh, rsync, find, grep, awk, sed, sort, xargs, md5sum, gpg, curl, wget, apache, mysql, python, perl, ruby, php, gcc, tar, vim, emacs, diff, patch - you name it.
You can put a base on Windows 10 that will run bash and it is called Windows Subsystem for Linux or WSL (I wonder if that will be Open Source).
People have complained about the use of open source on WIndows so they decided to do something about it.

It will be available in June for everybody; until then you can test it by becoming a Windows insider (If you like privacy then that is nothing for you!).

This is big news from Microsoft but it is hard to see how it is different from RedHat's Cygwin at this point.

It looks like Canonical and Microsoft are cooperating with this so the integration might be easier and tighter.
As a package manager you will get Ubuntu's Apt.

The natural question is; why use Linux under Windows when you can use Windows under Linux. As a platform Linux is more stable so that would make more sense.

The future might bring better interop between Linux and Windows which is a good thing.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Windows 10 with bash shell

Postby R_Head » 11 Apr 2016, 20:40

I do not trust MS. My take is, they are trying to embed MS code in Linux and hijack it later. Anybody remember Skype and Steve Ballmer up in arms about "MS Code" was in it? At the end, a big fat check solved the issue.

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Apr 2016, 08:33

Hmm Maybe we are in the Embrace phase then...
It is an acknowledgment of Linux that they take components from it to improve Windows.

In the old days they used to claim that Linux had copied everything good from Windows....

With Linux Androids total domination in the mobile market; MS has seen the huge potential of Linux.

They have always been "streetsmart".

It is somewhat surprising that they did not do this with Novell and SUSE though.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 12 Apr 2016, 13:18

Well... is wishful thinking but if the community is smart enough, could hijack MS to the Open Source side by embeding Linux in it. In a way, reverse the tide.

I remember Linus Torvalds saying some about ndiswrapper, he was not happy using it. That could be an MS extenssion that can be battled in court if MS wants to be an A Hole about it.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 13 Apr 2016, 00:57

Yes and both sides are interested in interop so the A hole strategy is not good for business.

Return to “Win News”