Windows Hello: The passwordless future

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Windows Hello: The passwordless future

Postby viking60 » 11 Mar 2016, 08:34

Microsoft has this Windows Hello thing that will let you log in without passwords.

Surface pro on Windows 10 will:
make your unlocking experience easier than ever. “This only works if you have a special camera. Facial unlock does not work on the Surface Pro 3, Surface 3, or earlier devices. There’s also a fingerprint scanner option – which is available on a special version of the new Type Cover,”

What a dream. You simply use Face recognition, Fingerprints or Iris scanner and your computer recognizes you right away and unlocks!

Privacy wise it is a nightmare since your face, fingerprint and iris has to be saved somewhere for the computer to recognize it. Those things are normally only stored for criminals.
But rest assured:
Microsoft has worked hard to beef up Windows 10 with enterprise-grade security, making sure that both consumers and businesses are protected from threats

See? Microsoft has worked hard - nothing to worry about then.

Microsoft would not dream of sharing your extremely personal data with anybody else Of course there are understandable exceptions for terrorists, criminals. tax cheaters, illegal downloads in the boys room, speeding and shoplifting, and industrial espionage that clearly is in the best interest of the Nation.....

So if you have nothing to hide this is a dream. Obama has something to hide, the NSA has something to hide, the FBI has something to hide, your neighbour has something to hide....but you don't - right?

I wonder who is motivating them to implement these "features"... :think:

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Windows Hello: The passwordless future

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Mar 2016, 20:04

I don't trust it a bit.
and even certain online experiences without a password being stored on your device or in a network server at all,” Microsoft explained in an official blog post back in March of this year.

So basically you can use it to crack into places you shouldn't be able to.
Nice. Not.
"We r owns all yer info so why not."
Eh, trash belongs in the rubbish bin, IMO.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Win News”