Critical flaw in all Win versions Vista to Win 10

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Critical flaw in all Win versions Vista to Win 10

Postby viking60 » 24 Nov 2015, 11:28

All users should patch a critical flaw that affects all versions of WIndows Vista to and including Windows 10.

The flaws could allow a malicious user to install malware on your computer.

The patch MS15-112 addresses a memory corruption flaw in Internet Explorer.

It does not help if you have the new Edge browser in Windows 10 since it also is affected. This can be patched with MS15-113

Windows servers running the third preview of Windows Server 2016 are also at risk.

Update:
The patches were faulty and affected Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 users negatively The problem was mainly with Outlook that crashed.
So Microsoft has added yet another patch; MS15-115
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Critical flaw in all Win versions Vista to Win 10

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Nov 2015, 18:46

Got it. Although all I'm going to care about is getting Steam patched in Windows if it needs it. I'm setting it up so it boots straight to Steam when I login - that's all I'm ever going to use it for, if even that because Linux has Steam too. Windows-only games is all Windows is there for, and my warranty.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Nov 2015, 19:03

Yes not all Steam games are for Linux. I am happy with Team Fortress on Manjaro though.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Nov 2015, 19:58

Nice.
I have a huge list of them from Humble Bundle. Don't do much with things like Call of Duty or mainstream games, in fact not much gaming on the computer because of arthritis in my hands. Much easier with a console at the telly - that I can do. However, Humble Bundle doesn't have console games except ones that they release for the computer (like the Sonic collection). My fav is Aquaria from them and have to play it for the moment on Windows. Too many errors on Mageia.
Team Fortress I may check out however.
Thanks for the update btw, I've shared this link with a lot of people who run Windows so this will be very much appreciated by them as well.

I do have to say this isn't the first patch M$ has screwed up and won't be the last. They hosed the last updates, too.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 Dec 2015, 21:45

I'm just getting around to this. I don't have Outlook installed so am wondering if this update is necessary? Also, at the link it states a recommendation to install update 2919355. Silly thing about this. In a referring link stemming from there on update 2919355, it says:
To check if the update is already installed, go to the Start screen. If you see a Search button near your account name at the top of the Start screen, you already have the update.

I've gone to the Start screen, and have a search button by my account. I then went to Control Panel/Programs and Features-->View Installed updates to verify it, and ran a search for 2919355. It is not there.

I don't know what to do on this. Do I have to have it (2919355) installed to install MS15-115, or do I need to do anything at all in any of this? Outlook is not installed, 2919355 is not installed although M$ swears if I have that search thing (which I do) I have it installed (and it's not listed in updates or in View installed updates), this is kinda screwy. lol

Thanks.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Dec 2015, 00:46

A regular update should take care of it.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Dec 2015, 01:10

Let's hope so. I just updated today. I hope it's in one of those, if indeed it's one that applies here.

Thanks!
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Win News”