Microsoft: Win 10 does not breach your privacy

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Microsoft: Win 10 does not breach your privacy

Postby viking60 » 29 Sep 2015, 16:46

After numerous accusations and even being banned from some torrent trackers on suspected breach of Privacy in Windows 10; Microsoft now addresses the issue and states that Windows 10 does not breach your privacy.

The reason for the ban were in the MS conditions:
We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.

and some fears
“What’s particularly nasty is that apparently it sends the results of local(!!) searches to a well known anti piracy company directly so as soon as you have one known p2p or scene release on your local disk … BAM!”

Now this Windows 10 paranoia is completely uncalled for according to Microsoft.

This is the reality according to MS
1Windows 10 collects information so the product will work better for you.
2You are in control with the ability to determine what information is collected.

The Microsoft executive continues:
We aspire to deliver a delightful and personalized Windows experience to you, which benefits from knowing some things about you to customize your experience, such as knowing whether you are a Seattle Seahawks fan or Real Madrid fan, in order to give you updates on game scores or recommend apps you might enjoy– or remembering the common words you type in text messaging conversations to provide you convenient text completion suggestions. You are in control of the information we collect for these purposes and can update your settings at any time. Note that with new features like Cortana which require more personal information to deliver the full experience, you are asked if you want to turn them on and are given additional privacy customization options.

Eh well .. I get the experience part but is this not breaching privacy? Is this not targeting adds?

Microsoft also strictly stated that "unlike some other platforms", it does not collect your personal data from files, emails or any other communication method, which could be used for targeted advertising if in the wrong hands.

..So it "does not"..but could it?

It looks very much as an attempt to position Microsoft as "the right hands" but the data they collect are still subject to your - the market's - trust.

In general it is hard to tell where the line goes between what Microsoft collects - and what they do with the collected data.

Microsoft argues that they treat your data fairly - but isn't the interesting question what they collect, regardless of their fair nature ?

Microsoft wants to build trust by addressing the issue.
They have a site where you can ask your privacy questions and will answer within 48 hour's :s

I just asked the following question
Is there an overview over exactly what Windows 10 collects with the default settings to servers like ssw.live.com and others?

I am genuinely interested in the answer
More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Microsoft: Win 10 does mot breach your privacy

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Sep 2015, 20:03

They don't breach privacy, and I'm president Obama.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 30 Sep 2015, 10:29

Well Mr President I am happy to inform you then that they have not answered yet. :lol:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Sep 2015, 22:07

:lol:
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Oct 2015, 00:15

And I think the 48 h are about gone now - and no answer. Oh well at least they got my email registered now....

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 01 Oct 2015, 00:36

So you're being tracked by them now? Oh, goodie.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Oct 2015, 01:12

It seems to be important to them to convince sceptics - like me - that they take privacy seriously.

So I will give them some more time.

They might have something to back up the story.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Microsoft: Win 10 does not breach your privacy

Postby viking60 » 18 Oct 2015, 21:13

I am still waiting so I think we can call this a promise not kept :berserk2
This site had originally a guarantee to answer within 48 hours. I cannot find that there anymore so I guess they had to change that :roll:
I have been waiting for more than two weeks.
Here is the site where you can ask the questions (good thing) and where they may answer the questions they like or not at all (bad thing).
:A
http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/privacy-page?ln=EN-US

I had an honest question that should present no provocation - simply a privacy concern.

And the fact of the matter is; Microsoft did not answer. :berserkf

If they come up with an answer at a later point I promise to present it in the form Microsoft chooses and give them credit.
I think this is a good initiative; but Microsoft needs to actually follow it up. Microsoft's campaign to build trust in privacy matters needs to be more than words.

I wanted to know exactly what Windows 10 collects to the cloud - and Microsoft does not know or does not want to tell. Alternatively they simply failed to follow up that site for somme unexplained reason.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Oct 2015, 21:26

hhmmm. I wonder if they'd be more provoked to answer if the rest of us presented them with the exact same question? If enough people asked? The problem is, regular M$ users won't be so prone to ask, but we have enough here at the forum who are concerned.

What do you think? I'd like to (nicely) push for an answer.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Oct 2015, 21:33

Sure Microsoft need to put their actions where the mouth is.
I suspect there is a fourth possibility why they do not answer and that is that they consider questions about this for trolling.

Those cheeky Trolls that dare to question the security of their data on Microsoft servers are not worthy of an answer. :hand: something like that.
So be polite!

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Nov 2015, 13:58

Hey I got an answer:

The question was:
Is there an overview over exactly what Windows 10 collects with the default settings to servers like ssw.live.com and others?
As in: "What does Windows do now that it did not do before - be specific."

The answer:
:A
Hello-

Thank you for your inquiry. At Microsoft, we respect the privacy of our customers and appreciate you raising this concern.

You can choose how much performance, diagnostic and usage information will be sent to Microsoft from your device. For more information, see the Windows 10 Feedback, diagnostics, and privacy: FAQ.

Our primary goal in collecting telemetry data is to understand and ensure the continued, healthy, day-to-day operation of the Windows service for you and all of our customers. Should something go wrong, information collected from your device helps us understand what happened on your device Information from devices across the Windows ecosystem helps us quickly identify trends and understand the types and combinations of devices, applications and activities that are causing an issue.

We also use telemetry data to help plan and prioritize how we improve and evolve Windows. We use the information to understand which features customers use and enjoy the most, which are not used or could be better, and to make data-driven decisions about what new features or enhancements will most delight our customers.

Additionally, we use telemetry data to provide and personalize your Windows experience based on things like your device's capabilities and attributes or whether you have taken a particular action on your device. For example, we may pop a message on your lock screen telling you that you might want to try Windows Hello if your device has a camera that is capable of supporting that feature and you have not already configured Windows Hello for your device. And, we always give you control to turn off any personalized experiences that you don't want.

We employ a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect the data from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. We encrypt all telemetry data before it is transferred from your device to Microsoft servers. Additionally, telemetry data is stored in controlled facilities and access is managed in a least-privilege tiered approach, meaning that the data is accessible only to those people who have a legitimate business use that complies with our customer commitments and privacy policies. We take steps to prevent and minimize the collection and transmission of user content (e.g. user files or communications) at all telemetry levels, and actively scrub the data for sensitive or identifiable fields, such as email addresses and password.

In addition to the information provided in the Privacy Settings and in our Microsoft Privacy Statement, Microsoft has released additional information about Windows 10 privacy here:

- Setting your privacy preferences - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... references

- More information for consumers: Windows 10 and your online services - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... e-services

- For IT pros and enterprises: Configure telemetry and other settings in your organization - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=627097

- Windows 10 privacy - FAQ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... rivacy-faq

For more information, visit "Configure telemetry and other settings in your organization" at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=627097.

Kind Regards,

Microsoft Privacy

The good thing: Microsoft did answer :s I will study it (yes actually read it) and let it sink in before I comment....

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Nov 2015, 14:43

Well I am ready to start sharing my findings.
The Links they provide do confirm that with Windows 10; Microsoft Windows partially leaves your computer and needs to contact parts of the OS in the clouds.
Windows is an operating system, which is a software program that supports basic functions like managing your files and running apps, and uses peripherals like your printer, monitor, keyboard and mouse. In the past, Windows could be thought of as software existing only on your device. Now with Windows 10, important parts of Windows are based in the cloud, interacting with online services.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... e-services

We knew that... and we don't like it because control is good; personal control not MS control.
Microsoft claims that you are still in control though.
You can control on these levels:
Microsoft does specify what is activated for services like Cortana by default in Windows 10 services:
Cortana Group Policies
Find the Cortana Group Policy objects under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
Policy Description
Allow Cortana
Choose whether to let Cortana install and run on the device.
Default: Enabled
Allow search and Cortana to use location
Choose whether Cortana and Search can provide location-aware search results.
Default: Enabled
Do not allow web search
Choose whether to search the web from Windows Desktop Search.
Default: Disabled
Don't search the web or display web results in Search
Choose whether to search the web from Cortana.
Default: Disabled
Set what information is shared in Search
Control what information is shared with Bing in Search.

They also provide info on how to prevent the collection of metadata and other privacy invading functions.This means that if you do nothing; the data are collected.
You only have to stand on your head and do a double somersault to avoid these functions.
More here
So yes that does give you some control and Microsoft must know that the average Joe will never get there.

I think we can read from the answer that Microsoft is a firm believer in telemetry and that means that they firmly believe in gathering information from remote locations to their central servers.

And I think I can say that my question regarding exactly what they collect is not 100% answered. They admit to using telemetry but that is a word covering the process so what exactly is collected is still open.

Microsoft spends lots of energy again explaining to me why this is good for me. They only want to know my preferences so they can target the best offers to me; that is how nice and caring they are...

And that is fine but what if I don't want them to care for me?

And the description of their noble nature continues:
We take steps to prevent and minimize the collection and transmission of user content (e.g. user files or communications) at all telemetry levels, and actively scrub the data for sensitive or identifiable fields, such as email addresses and password.

So lemme see if I got this right:
Microsoft collects everything but scrubs it so that the pics of my girlfriends but is not visible to everyone. They have it and can do what they want with it and they choose to scrub it.
Most people have not actively chosen to deliver those data even if it might be on page 10 in tiny writing on som activate Windows routine that is needed to make the computer work.
So Microsoft takes what you have on your computer and stores it; and - given their fair nature - scrubs sensitive information.

What if you do not want to share those data in the first place? I sure don't want to.

And then Microsoft has nothing to offer me - they follow the track of convincing me because it will be so good for me - but If I am not falling for that then my choices with Windows are limited.
Stay with those Windows versions that are still all on my computer and do not gather all that much or Linux.

Linux just got even more attractive.

To be fair; there are these hording tendencies in the Linux world too. Ubuntu has had some attempts but had to retreat due to conscious users.
Microsoft did send me a follow up survey where I can point out that I would like an answer rather than persuasion. They are showing a somewhat automated interest.
It leaves a feeling that they take the issue seriously as long as there is money to be lost or earned over this. They are a business so that is fine and I like the follow up style.
So good style marks and bad marks for content there.

Microsoft might have a point - it is a matter of trust.

You trusting them to gather your data and treat them well...
Because Windows 10 will gather your data.. .

Return to “Win News”