Windows 10 update auto downloads

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Windows 10 update auto downloads

Postby viking60 » 06 Oct 2015, 20:58

Ok then you probably won't be nagged about it
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Oct 2015, 00:15

The thing is, I am now nagged about it. When I logged in earlier, on the login screen I was told that I had important updates. I went into Windows Update, and there was a huge "Update to Windows 10" dialog box. I had to hit "See all updates" to see if there were any actual 8.1 updates, of which there were none.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Oct 2015, 16:59

I'm hoping upon hope that my mom can put a stop to this. It's already asking her if she wants to upgrade, and she's only on Win 7.
WTF Microsoft? Why you wanna upgrade everyone's computer to this garbage?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Nov 2015, 01:12

There is nothing stopping this now. I don't know what's changed (if anything) but I was finally able to get the patch to install and rebooted but it was to no avail.

It seems nothing is stopping updates from asking to install Win 10. Absolutely nothing. Every time I go into Windows Updates, there it is.

The more I think about it the more I think I'm done. The only reason I'm hanging on to 8.1 is Windows-only games and I'm beginning to wonder if that's worth it (other than I paid for them). My warranty is worth it *maybe*. I have other Windows programs I paid for but I'm wondering if I should chalk them up to a waste of money.

I just don't know. I hate having to remember to cherry-pick updates every time so I don't get the Win 10 upgrade. Every single time. What if I forget to turn off Win 10 in Optional updates one of these times when there's updates? That's my biggest fear.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Nov 2015, 01:19

You don't have to update - just ignore the nagging.
Check if it is possible to downgrade to Windows 7 you will get nagged there too but I have managed to turn it off. I bet that is impossible though; Microsoft wants the control that later Windows versions give.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Nov 2015, 01:37

Yep, and I'm betting that it wouldn't support the hardware on this thing either. :(
I'll check though.
Wait, how would I go about checking? lol

I'm betting as well my product key wouldn't be good for it.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Nov 2015, 11:24

You need "downgrade rights" and for that you must buy Window 8 pro.

Once you have spent more money on Windows 8 it is possible to get rid of it. HP has locked the hardware to Windows 8 so you might have problems there but "Downgrade Rights" is a right (you can buy) from Microsoft.

Basically it works like this:
    A You think Windows 8 is crap and want to get rid of it
    B Microsoft says: "fIne just pay us some more money for the crap"
    C Downgrade the unusable software that you have paid for several times
:A
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2832566

If the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) is locked to Windows 8 then it will be difficult.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Nov 2015, 15:42

Ah. OK. Yeah, I don't think they need any more money from me lol.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Nov 2015, 22:48

I'm done with Windows. I'm so so done.
I'm done updating Windows and using it, I'm beginning to think the Windows-only games I paid for were a waste. If not that they supported charity as well, I'd fully think so.
The registry edit to prevent the upgrade has been done now for some time, the correct updates removed, patch finally installed to prevent the Win 10 upgrade, and STILL that BT folder thing creates itself, and when I go into Windows Update, there greets me with the Win 10 upgrade. "Do this!"
Oh hell no I won't. I have to remember STILL to click "See all available updates" and then go in and untick the Win 10 upgrade from Optional updates.
I'm beginning to think the downgrade would be worth it to Win 7, but do not know if a) it would blow my warranty to do so and b) if that would even stop this thing wanting to upgrade, because my hardware is so new.
My mum has Win 7 Pro, and she is getting notifications for the upgrade. Her lappy is about a year older than mine, an i3 Thinkpad, IIRC.
Question: Is the warranty worth hanging onto this shite?
I normally do not worry about the warranty and install Linux anyway, but this time I paid quite a load for the lappy and am beginning to wish I hadn't. I didn't realise the ramifications of "Free Windows 10 upgrade" when I bought it.
All I know is I need to somehow stop it in case I forget to go to "See all available updates" at some point.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 01 Dec 2015, 16:50

Warranty... against what? Anything that goes wrong is your fault anyway according to MS. :lol:

I say, blow it off the water... if you can install Linux on that machine. My little girl loves her Mageia 5, that includes the wife and my mum inlaw. Funny that she is 75 and asked me to get rid of Windows and install Linux instead :lol:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Dec 2015, 19:41

Exactly my experience too.
There is this 78 year old lady and asked me to buy a new laptop for her. Then I brought back one with Windows 8 and she told me to get rid of it - she wanted that familiar stuff that she knew.

It was Mageia :-D

Win 8 and higher represents a huge opportunity for Linux but there are two factors that matter:

Microsoft knows this; to so they establish a strict security and control regime that is not meant for Linux.
The newfound love for Linux is clearly the old Embrace Extend Extinguish strategy in modern form.
Linux guys don't care that much anymore because the Desktop does not matter that much anymore (big mistake!).

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 01 Dec 2015, 20:14

Forgot about the 3 Es... that is so true. That is why do not trust the new MS brass and trying to be "besties" with Open Source. I think they want to infect Open Source with their malpractice and call it theirs in court. The only way they can win any battles is with pure and sheer litigation instead of innovation.

Return to “Win News”