Windows 10 update auto downloads

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Windows 10 update auto downloads

Postby viking60 » 01 Dec 2015, 23:23

I think they gave up claiming that they owned Linux code some time ago. It was clearly not true and they never presented anything to that effect.
It is a leftover from the days where MS still had the ambition to be the only OS (that matters) in the world. Maybe there were national interests involved too. :confused

These days Linux is way bigger than Windows. count the hardware that uses Windows and count the hardware that uses Linux and you will find that the difference is huge.

On Desktops Windows is King though.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 01 Dec 2015, 23:27

Yes is true. At work we have kiosks that runs on MS. Some kind of vending machines. You can buy edibles and pay with your thumb print. I use my card instead.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Dec 2015, 09:50

As everybody should! Giving them your fingerprint is really a bad idea.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 02 Dec 2015, 15:22

R_Head wrote:Warranty... against what? Anything that goes wrong is your fault anyway according to MS. :lol:

I say, blow it off the water... if you can install Linux on that machine. My little girl loves her Mageia 5, that includes the wife and my mum inlaw. Funny that she is 75 and asked me to get rid of Windows and install Linux instead :lol:

I purchased an extended warranty, and on top of that, a drop and breakage, etc. Warranty. They weren't cheap, except for the drop and breakage one. Oddly though, the drop and breakage one, the cheaper one, is the one I don't want to lose.
As I said before as well, I did put a lot of money into Windows-only games. I bought paid versions of proggies (mostly so I could have them on other devices too, such as my android phone and tablet without paying extra for them, or that I could have more than one license for so I could give one to my mum in Colorado - talk about a mum you wish would go Linix, but then who really minds doing paid things for their mums when they can? Not me).
There's also a geeky techie curiousness that says "there has got to be a way to stop this" without paying more. Remember, viking and I both have access to under-the-hoodness for Windbloze from Linux. We can do anything to f*ck it up, if we only know what to do. This in turn could help a lot of people. I know a lot who don't want this upgrade.

I'm still thinking about having it boot straight to Steam, but then with the other things I need to use it for (work), I'd have to set up a whole 'nother user to do it. When my work computer comes in, I won't have to worry about that.

No, I want to figure a way to stop the Microsh*t garbage at every turn I can. Obviously, since I did everything viking said earlier in this thread, what's being released on the interwebs to stop the upgrade isn't working for this. I still have the folder for the 10 upgrade (although it's not being downloaded to), and Windows Update in Control Panel, even with auto updates turned off, it just isn't working.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 02 Dec 2015, 15:31

Come to think of it, if there was a specific order we were to do those things in, I suppose I could have screwed that. That thought just came to me. If so, then what to do about that?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 02 Dec 2015, 16:53

I switched my family by telling them that was a new MS release, the latest and greatest.

Since I set them up and started to use Thunderbird and Fire Fox, they could not see the difference.

Just change the Boot Plash and the Desktop to a MS meme... :T

Will never know the difference :roll:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 Dec 2015, 21:02

Doesn't negate that this needs to stop for Windows users who don't want the upgrade. Like me (not that I actually "use" it), and my mum.
She would know the difference.

The insanity has to stop somewhere.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Jan 2016, 17:05

viking60 wrote:Step 2
Open the registry editor (Regedit) and find:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\
Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

If it is not there; you might have to create "WindowsUpdate".

Then create a new 32-bit DWORD called DisableOSUpgrade

What does the hex (data field) need to read on this? Mine is different from what you have here - it's all zeroes (except in 0x).

Thanks.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 19 Jan 2016, 10:02

I don't remember - it is a long time since I used Windows now. I don't think it matters as long as it is there.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 22 Jan 2016, 04:28

OK, thanks.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 01 Jun 2016, 17:20

Just a heads up. I'm using this thread for a lot of people viking, who are being nagged to the hilt. My mom has just sent me an email that the updates won't stop nagging on her Win 7 laptop, so I referred her to this thread, in particular your second post to this thread. I'm beginning to think it needs to be made a sticky. There are a lot more people even than I know who can use this thread. Can we do that please? Make it a sticky?

Thank you so much. :)
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Jun 2016, 17:48

Your wish is my command -stickied :greetings

And since Windows 10 is gaining in unpopularity there is an App that can take care of this

I have not tested it but it looks good.

Return to “Win News”