Win 10 with no option to turn off secure boot.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Win 10 with no option to turn off secure boot.

Postby viking60 » 24 Mar 2015, 14:51

Now it is clear why Microsoft wants to give away WIndows 10! Windows 10 will have no option to turn off secure boot - meaning that you will not be able to boot your system with anything else than Windows 10.

You cannot bot it with Windows 7 and you can not boot the computer With Linux and you cannot boot it from LiveCD's. Making the hardware exclusively for Windows 10 will probably be "optional" for the manufacturers - meaning that if they want a dime from Microsoft they should make the computers Windows 10 only.
Hardware can be Designed for Windows 10 and can offer no way to opt out of the Secure Boot lock down.

In Windows 8 you could turn the secure boot off with the exception of some "faulty" hardware (a fault probably rewarded handsomely by MS)
I was wondering why Microsoft was so eager to give Windows 10 away - even to pirates.

It was reasonable to suspect that it was a matter of control. And now it becomes clearer and clearer that Windows 10 is yet another step to exclude anything else than Windows from the computer.

Laymen may buy the security aspect of this, but it I am not at all sure that the entities surveilling markets will accept this exclusion.
Windows 8 computers already had the secure boot as a default - there is no added security in taking the "turn off secure boot" option away - or very little since people keep the default.

In general taking the flexibility out of the hardware is not a good thing for the consumer - it also hinders fair competition.
(Here is a tip Nadella - Let people chose Windows because they want it because it is the best. Having to exclude the competition is a poor display of lack of confidence.)

In any case it will be illegal to sell computers like this in Italy :jackpot

The safest car is the one that cannot drive - do we want that?
This is a sneaky approach from Satya Nadella I think I prefer Steve Ballmer; at least he was honest about it.

Microsoft Loving Linux? Yeah right - smokescreen of the century :f :berserk2 :berserkf

Boikot any hardware producer that delivers laptops that cannot switch of secure boot and keep a particularly close look on Dell and HP. These may drop the option of switching off secure boot for "patriotic" reasons.

After having built up some goodwill again; Microsoft really stepped in it here. :berserk2

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack

Re: Win 10 with no option to turn off secure boot.

Postby Blackcrack » 24 Mar 2015, 16:18

ha,hahaha,ha,ha..ha..ha

Microsoft, the most Trusted Factory .. haha..ha..

ehh Reactos, have anyone think about supporting an bit Reactos..
hummmm... We dont need Microsift animore, if we support correctly Reactos..
Reactos it is open Source and under GPL..

and now cry anybody.. buuuhhuuuu baad winow, i cant play around if i want walk with two system..
it's an own self baked dilemma, who has ever say.. och microsoft.. it's anyway and now..
oohh dual boot works no more.. mahahaha...
really ?

so, support Reactos and we have no troubles any more with some crap ..

best regards
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Mar 2015, 17:06

Well I newer got reactos to work.
And since it is a Windows copy I do not see much reason to since I think Linux is better for my purposes.

But If it works it would be a nice alternative to run Windows only applications on it.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 24 Mar 2015, 19:20

I thought that Secure Boot was a BIOS setting rather than a Windows setting?

I got ReactOS to work in VirtualBox but was unable to access network shares which in turn left me unable to install applications.

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Mar 2015, 20:50

Snorkasaurus wrote:I thought that Secure Boot was a BIOS setting rather than a Windows setting?

Well this is Microsoft telling the Manufacturers what hardware specification Windows 10 needs. The interaction between Software and hardware on the OS level will efficiently enable Microsoft to control the Hardware.

If Microsoft controls the bit that is active before the OS is loaded then they can exclude what they want.

If you build your own PC you will not have much problems with this. This will affect Laptops and handheld devices that come with Windows 10 pre-installed. That leaves laptops since Microsoft is no important player in the Tablet and Smartphone market (Linux has about 80 % there with Android - the rest is Apple and iOS).

The problem is that Microsoft builds up a position where they are the only ones that can verify OS loaders. So you pretty much have to ask Microsoft to allow you to use your hardware for something other than Windows. That is a dream position for excluding competition....And a dream position for distributing NSA malware.

The NSA does not have to intercept Cisco routers if they can control every PC on the "Bios level" .. and they sure can control and instruct Microsoft..

UEFI is perfectly able to start a keylogger if it is Microsoft verified +1 ..Like the one used on the 2011 attack on European Commission computers.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 25 Mar 2015, 08:36

viking60 wrote:Well I newer got reactos to work.
And since it is a Windows copy I do not see much reason to since I think Linux is better for my purposes.

But If it works it would be a nice alternative to run Windows only applications on it.

reactos it is alfa, it meant's, maybe in virtualbox or something on this stage can you tested out ,
but it's now easy not really usable on real hardware .. there is still something to do, you know :)

and by the way, if i can not tell my computer what for software i can start,
then its the point attain, where i say, thank you Microsoft, your software it's to heavy
for my computer and I prefer to use something else as ordering system, because,
an ordering-system should does, what the owner demand, require, want, ask, call for, claim, requisition, stipulate or
how ever and NOT, REALLY NOT an factory who want manipulating and help for spying or what ever
and we are only marionettes of an Factory ..

this is also what's me discourages/keeps me away to use Win8, win10 ... i bet to god to become reactos an stage
where we can use it so far like Win95 i able and allow some bluescreens,
but i pray for able use Reactos so soon as possible for able to use so far ..

easy for save us ass.... because the peoples don't see what's under the Surface
and the most have to much trust in Microsoft .
They don't realize to be mostly an prisoner in his own private space ..

should i enumerate some .. Facebook, twitter.. try to erase you data's .. or googles webspace and cache ..
they are all, really all on the Space of United States of Amerika and therewith on the land of the Law of the State's

- and everywhere where current flows, it's able for connecting computers with Microsoft or Apple Ordering System -

by side, do you have seen, the able to feed data into power grids for/at home..

hahaaa.. like tataa.. or what ever else .. therewith it's able for connecting all grids/electricity networks in any country ..
and the one who has it make also , one of the first .. it's Kevin, Kevin David Mitnick .. yes, i meant "The Condor" ..

best regards
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Mar 2015, 12:12

Well I understood the trust Microsoft part. :-D

That is pretty much the point.
    Microsoft is the only one that gets to certify hardware.
    Microsoft decides what that hardware can run.
    If Microsoft says it's good then it will run - so you will have to trust them.

The question is: Can you?

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 25 Mar 2015, 16:34

hunn, the question is, dan it ? the self regulating ..

if's work, want it buy, it not, so bad selling ..

Microsoft have overtaken the naturally point of Sale ..

it's perform , okey.. and if's bad and negative and not perform, so in no case have an change.. this is natural ..

Microsoft make there an unnaturally nature and determine what's well or not well ..
so and prejudge the natural forward away/greift dem natürlichen vorne weg ..
and have therewith the possible for to say, it works or not.. or it's able for selling or not,
in this point have Microsoft all in the hand what's possible and can controlling and manage, handle and be therewith on the wheel ..
to say, this works or not.. or you be my enemy, i am supporting you not, so go you die.. at end..
this is, what Microsoft does .., since Microsoft buy the Dos and manipulating Lisa from Steve Jobs by,
just before the demonstration, and have installed Windows 1.0 ..

... and how say the mouses ..

Steve Jobs & Bill Gates ;)

the Charackter if it, have acquired/took over the company and this is the way where it's goes,
the chefs, Chairman's Bill and Steve be no more on the wheel and now be the facility's also on the at the pusher
and can determine with law what's goes really .. i the hidden ..

and by side it's the law of the States, nsa, cia, fbi and whoever ...

and therewith ;)

it have start it with the drivers.. and end with Apple&Microsoft Soft&Hardware
and the other it's incidental and be try to hold hidden. Because it's also Law-concurring ..

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Mar 2015, 11:58

Well Microsoft has made a lot of sensible moves lately so let us hope they correct this one - it is not written in stone.
Making it optional to leave out the possibility of turning off the default secure boot can only be seen as an open provocation to Linux and other OS's.

Making dedicated Windows 10 computers is not wrong; Microsoft are free to do so - like Apple does. Making every computer on earth a dedicated Windows 10 computer is wrong (and illegal in Italy and probably in all of Europe eventually).

And the consumers are the losers; they are used to buy computers that can run everything - now they can lose lots of hardware functionality.
As in actively remove functionality that the hardware already has.

Again this mostly goes for laptops with Windows 10 pre-installed. If you buy a tower PC or build one yourself (buy the cabinet and the cards etc and put them together) this will be possible to handle.

Let us hope that Satya Nadella is the nice Hobbit he has been so far and not an Ork :o or even Sauron looking for that one Ring to rule them all....

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 26 Mar 2015, 19:07

so.. let us support Reactos .. :tux5:

eehh microsoft ? :arrogant:

#hotiron-microsoft-donttutshit
:whistle:
:mrgreen:

best regards
Blacky

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Sep 2015, 23:04

viking60 wrote:Image
Now it is clear why Microsoft wants to give away WIndows 10! Windows 10 will have no option to turn off secure boot - meaning that you will not be able to boot your system with anything else than Windows 10.

You cannot bot it with Windows 7 and you can not boot the computer With Linux and you cannot boot it from LiveCD's. Making the hardware exclusively for Windows 10 will probably be "optional" for the manufacturers - meaning that if they want a dime from Microsoft they should make the computers Windows 10 only.
Hardware can be Designed for Windows 10 and can offer no way to opt out of the Secure Boot lock down.

In Windows 8 you could turn the secure boot off with the exception of some "faulty" hardware (a fault probably rewarded handsomely by MS)
I was wondering why Microsoft was so eager to give Windows 10 away - even to pirates.

It was reasonable to suspect that it was a matter of control. And now it becomes clearer and clearer that Windows 10 is yet another step to exclude anything else than Windows from the computer.

Laymen may buy the security aspect of this, but it I am not at all sure that the entities surveilling markets will accept this exclusion.
Windows 8 computers already had the secure boot as a default - there is no added security in taking the "turn off secure boot" option away - or very little since people keep the default.

In general taking the flexibility out of the hardware is not a good thing for the consumer - it also hinders fair competition.
(Here is a tip Nadella - Let people chose Windows because they want it because it is the best. Having to exclude the competition is a poor display of lack of confidence.)

In any case it will be illegal to sell computers like this in Italy :jackpot

The safest car is the one that cannot drive - do we want that?
This is a sneaky approach from Satya Nadella I think I prefer Steve Ballmer; at least he was honest about it.

Microsoft Loving Linux? Yeah right - smokescreen of the century :f :berserk2 :berserkf

Boikot any hardware producer that delivers laptops that cannot switch of secure boot and keep a particularly close look on Dell and HP. These may drop the option of switching off secure boot for "patriotic" reasons.

After having built up some goodwill again; Microsoft really stepped in it here. :berserk2

More here

Just saw this. The exact reason I'm afraid to upgrade.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Win News”