Win 10 will be free for Chinese Pirates

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Win 10 will be free for Chinese Pirates

Postby viking60 » 18 Mar 2015, 17:28

75% of all Chinese PC's are running pirated Windows software.
To make all of them properly licensed; Microsoft has decided to give away Windows 10 to all of them.

Purely out of the goodness of their hearts. It has nothing to do with Microsoft gaining more control over the PC's or Chinese data. It is a pure giveaway to show that Piracy (it's a crime) pays off.

European pirates need to become more efficient to get the same offer by the looks of it.

Microsoft has warned about buying their software as "too good to be true" deals before. Isn't this such a deal?

In any case they seem to follow the modern OS - Linux - in this aspect. That competition would have made it pretty hard to claim license fees anyway, particularly in China.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: Win 10 will be free for Chinese Pirates

Postby Snorkasaurus » 18 Mar 2015, 17:44

I tried Win10 this week and thought it was awful. It seems like Microsoft is really pushing people to stop using Windows or to buy "stupidphones".

I think it is cute that Microsoft claims that every successive version of Windows is "faster" and yet somehow I don't think Windows 10 will run very well on a Pentium 4. Certainly not as well as Windows 7, or anything before it.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Mar 2015, 18:24

True! It is only faster if you buy new Microsoft certified hardware; with lots of power. The Internet has become a control power game and is incorporated in the software that companies like Microsoft provide.
It is called clouds, services etc.and they are incorporated in the OS; but in the end it is about controlling the most data.
Companies want the control to earn the dineros and governments want them for power purposes. The "Control the Internet and control the world" game...

It is not far fetched that the one that controls Microsoft has a lot of power all over the world. MS need to stay on most computers to maintain the control over the data.

...And there are lots of data in China :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 18 Mar 2015, 19:05

viking60 wrote:It is called clouds, services etc.and they are incorporated in the OS; but in the end it is about controlling the most data.

That was actually one of the biggest things I disliked about Windows 10. I pop open the Start menu and it has all kinds of ADS! Ads to get me to use OneDrive and to have a Microsoft account and to use Bing and to pick up content from their servers and to ... blah! The entire concept of Windows 10 seems to be to sell other Microsoft services! What's worse is that people will actually USE those services simply for the convenience of it, without even thinking of the security and privacy issues it creates. :-(

This is the exact same reason I won't install Ubuntu... they sold out to Amazon and provide the same kind of convenience. When I install an application it should not push me to install Chrome or toolbars or junkware... and when I install an OS it should not push me to use a particular search engine or cloud storage or junkware.

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Mar 2015, 23:56

Exactly! :s
The point being that it is not free - it is indeed a deal too good to be true. Microsoft get their money by selling those services via the freely installed system (Windows 10).
It is advertising in a great scale (because there are some people in China).

That is OK as long as they are open about it but they are not there are privacy issues (then again; privacy is not all that common in China so they might not see the implications). Ubuntu was not open about it either but did take the criticism and turned off Amazon as a default (if I remember correctly).

I cannot recommend Ubuntu to anyone these days . mainly because it is not good enough.

Greenhorns should start with Mint, Zorin, Mageia and maybe even the Chinese Deepin. Manjaro will be up there in a matter of short time too (It is rock solid on my main box).

Windows 10 looks like a result of eager Google benchmarking. Google sells you all day long - but people know that.

Google was heavily criticized by Microsoft for this (Scroogle etc) so it is not clear to all that MS will do the same.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 19 Mar 2015, 07:25

this is the point, why i say ever.. help Reactos, because the Reaction, like chemical.. like asid against MS,
to burn out some ulcer / boil /sore like Microsoft it is.. bahh.. it looks so ugly.. okey, Win7 i have it on running,
but only because i able to customizing, but since Win8 and up.. gnh.. alone by this reason ,
should the world support Reactos in any way .. and should also make an Frendship,
because, it was Microsoft why we are all have support Linux not the System as so in this time..
because, Win95/XP was so far in any case better as win8.. and later ..
We should help [strike]the[/strike] all Users to become an clean and Open Source System in any case,
also it is with Reactos also .. so, make you're peace with win32/64 and
build up an Frendship with Reactos and Wine ..

best regards
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Win 10 will be free for Chinese Pirates - but pirated???

Postby viking60 » 20 Mar 2015, 10:41

Microsoft "clarified" the position to Polygon:

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson clarified in a statement to Polygon that the upgrade to Windows 10 will "not change the genuine state of the license," meaning non-genuine copies of the operating system will continue to be non-genuine.

The consumer free upgrade offer for Windows 10 applies to qualified new and existing devices running Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. Some editions are excluded from the consumer free upgrade — including Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to other Windows 10 enterprise offerings.

We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible. With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade. According to industry experts, use of pirated software, including Non-Genuine Windows, results in a higher risk of malware, fraud (identity theft, credit card theft, etc), public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions.

So in fact there is no change whatsoever.

What Microsoft says now is that Chinese pirated Windows will continue to be pirated Windows; the only really big news here is that Microsoft helps the pirates by telling them that it will be possible to update the pirated Windows 7 or 8 to a pirated Windows 10.

So in other words Microsoft is telling the Chinese market that it will be possible to pirate Windows 10 too - why does Microsoft have the urge to communicate this?

Better with a pirated Windows than a legal Linux?

higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions
Microsoft will probably be in a position to create the feature malfunctions and poor performance after a zillion Chinese have become used to Windows 10.

Make them Junkies first - then it is time to collect ?

More here

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Jul 2015, 14:36

viking60 wrote:True! It is only faster if you buy new Microsoft certified hardware; with lots of power. The Internet has become a control power game and is incorporated in the software that companies like Microsoft provide.
It is called clouds, services etc.and they are incorporated in the OS; but in the end it is about controlling the most data.
Companies want the control to earn the dineros and governments want them for power purposes. The "Control the Internet and control the world" game...

It is not far fetched that the one that controls Microsoft has a lot of power all over the world. MS need to stay on most computers to maintain the control over the data.

...And there are lots of data in China :-D

It is honestly just one corporate game, to make money, more profit. Unfortunately, very, it's how the world is working these days. This has been a Microsoft game for years. Require bigger and better and them, in order for them to make their billions. Corporations take over, make the governments money... the NSA spies on all of the people caught up in it, and away we go with worldwide Hitler again.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Win News”