Windows 9 will have the start menu again

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Windows 9 will have the start menu again

Postby viking60 » 16 Sep 2014, 12:16

Windows 9 will be presented by the end of September. The leaks show that Windows 9 will have the good old start menu again.
This is a step in the right direction for business users and other conservative users.
The menu is pretty much as a Windows 7 menu in combination with the live tiles from Windows 8.
The Apps from the Windows store can now be used in "windows mode" again.
There is a big difference between the home and tablet users and the business users. Businesses like stability and functionality over bleeding edge, while the home user wants the "latest thing".

Microsoft has been loosing out heavily in the home department and have no big market share in tablets or smart phones. The Xbox does have competition from Sony, Nintendo and also Valve.
At the same time they have been neglecting their strong point; the traditional desktop, in the eagerness to run after Apple's tablets and Google's Android.

By the looks of it Microsoft might be able to win the traditional desktop users back with Windows 9. There is still a big drawback though; Windows 9 computers will not be able to run Windows 7 or other Operating systems.
The hardware will be tied down by the MS certificates that do not allow other software on the computer.

So Windows 9 still represents a "narrowing down" of the computer owners flexibility compared to Windows 7 and prior Windows versions.
And naturally also for Linux users.

MS UEFI secure boot can be turned off - unless the manufacturer makes a "mistake". Such mistakes do occur and MS does not seem to have anything against it.
And it does require some knowledge that many computer buyers do not have, so they will be tied down by this.

The upside is that Microsoft will gain more control over the computer and it's boot process. This control could theoretically allow Microsoft to place keyloggers on all computers sold in ...say Norway

Bill Gates and the Norwegian prime minister (No reason - just needed a picture here)

All in all it looks like this Windows version will have a greater chance of succeeding than Windows 8 , because it will have that familiar and recognizable look and feel.
After a horrible version Microsoft tend to come up with a good version
Windows 98 was followed by Windows 2000, Windows ME was followed by Windows XP and Windows Vista was followed by Windows 7 (not that big a difference though).

If history repeats itself then the horrible Windows 8 will be followed by a fairly good Windows 9.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Windows 9 will have the start menu again

Postby R_Head » 17 Sep 2014, 11:44

Not sure if they are late to the game.

My view is that people are not simply buying PCs is all mobile stuff.

Just bought a Samsung Note Pro Tablet for my mum in law and is a pretty nice piece of hardware. Does pretty much the same stuff a laptop can do and perhaps more.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 17 Sep 2014, 12:37

Yes the and the "mobile stuff" is not Windows, so the home market belongs to Apple and Google with tablets and smart-phones.
The business computers do very much exist, and here Microsoft can hope to replace Windows XP or Windows 7 with Windows 9.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 18 Sep 2014, 11:48

Perhaps MS OS will be stuck on the shrinking world of PCs.

I have noticed they are pushing hard thier Cloud Services.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 19 Sep 2014, 22:28

R_Head wrote:I have noticed they are pushing hard thier Cloud Services.

I am sure that there are plenty of people (and by that I mean "corporations") that are buying their Azure service. And... as an added bonus, when you sign up for their Azure service you get to be shielded from responsibility by the bureaucratic whale.

S.

Return to “Win News”