XP lives on with unofficial updates

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

XP lives on with unofficial updates

Postby viking60 » 29 Aug 2014, 11:43

There are still more Windows XP users than Windows 8 users and they do not have to give up their OS yet. 25 % of the computers in the world are still running XP.

Now there is a guy that makes unofficial fixes. +1
And by the looks of it he has no plan of giving up XP because he has been busy:
:A
List of fixes XP SP4
He has made a Service-pack 4 and implemented a lot of quick fixes.
Many users — including me — who won't be able to upgrade their old machines to a newer OS would like to easily install all Windows updates in one convenient package. For this reason, I started working on a Service Pack 4 package.

Naturally Microsoft does not support this:
Of course, Microsoft does not recommend anyone to install this, but such a service pack is clearly worth a shot if you're still on Windows XP and you don't plan to upgrade anytime soon

Microsoft's attempts to kill Windows XP seem to fail. This might be worth a try.

More here

And there might be yet a better way of continuing with XP - Tips coming up....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: XP lives on with unofficial updates

Postby R_Head » 29 Aug 2014, 11:49

I think the problem is that most people does not want to buy a new computer. All is on the web now days so why changing to visit a web page?

Others they perhaps have a piece or pieces of software that works just fine and is too much work, time and money to move on.

If is not broke, why fix it ? +1

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 29 Aug 2014, 13:00

True and now you can continue using XP until 2019
:A
http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3449
It works!
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 29 Aug 2014, 15:00

I get so irritated when I go look at these links and see comments from people saying that it is time to move on because XP is "XX years old". No... that's bullshit! You shouldn't buy something new because it is new, you should buy it because you need it. My car is about the same age as XP but I am not throwing it away. I have T-shirts that are older than XP that I still wear. Hell, I have a motorcycle that was made in 1971 and it isn't garbage either. Why do people insist on replacing perfectly usable computers? Is it because they think Chinese children need more mountains of circuit boards to play on? Or is it because they are narrow minded pinheads who can only feel better about themselves by bragging about having things that other people don't have?
:f

My three cents,
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 29 Aug 2014, 15:12

Microsoft needs you to buy Windows 8 because it gives them more control (highly motivated by some agencies).
They also get to exclude pretty much other OS'es - so you may not need it; Microsoft needs it.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 29 Aug 2014, 15:57

viking60 wrote:Microsoft needs you to buy Windows 8 because it gives them more control (highly motivated by some agencies).
They also get to exclude pretty much other OS'es - so you may not need it; Microsoft needs it.

Man... and the suckers are lining up to get more!
:C

S.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 04 Sep 2014, 15:33

In the consumer/manufacture world is called Planned Obsolescence.

For example, HP does it with their printers. Technically they work the same, just engineered different so is impossible to swap parts and you are forced to buy a new one because of parts availability.

Same with software, the developers change things so quit working or lock you up on some platforms. Only way to move on is to buy new shit.

Will not be surprised that MS will break XP on one of their patches to force you to move on.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 04 Sep 2014, 17:16

R_Head wrote:For example, HP does it with their printers.

Luckily I got my HP LaserJet 4 Plus before they started doing that... it still chugs along just fine. :-)

S.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 05 Sep 2014, 11:38

I have a 1300n laser jet that is fine for now too.

Once it breaks is the end of the line, no parts to fix it :(

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Dec 2014, 00:52

Wow. I'm sending this thread to my mom... lol. She can do with this probably on her desktop PC.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Win News”