MS wants nerds to help grandma away from XP

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

MS wants nerds to help grandma away from XP

Postby viking60 » 11 Feb 2014, 22:53

Microsoft today implored its technically astute customers to help friends and family who are still running Windows XP get rid of the soon-to-be-retired operating system.

Microsoft wants the family to help so that Grandma can have a modern and updated PC.
Today marks 60 days until the end of support for Windows XP and we need your help spreading the word to ensure people are safe and secure on modern up-to-date PCs," said Microsoft's Brandon LeBlanc, a spokesman who frequently blogs for the firm. "As a reader of this blog, it's unlikely you are running Windows XP on your PC. However, you may know someone who is and have even served as their tech support.

What I cannot understand is why Microsoft wants Grandma to have an Apple, a Chromebook or a Linux PC? :think:
When reading on it seems LeBlanc is suffering from the delusion that Windows 8 constitutes a "modern and updated PC".
(It does reduce the hardware's functionality)

History so far has shown that it is one of Microsoft's biggest failures, and when they fail to sell it themselves they want the help of the family to sell it?

Sure Microsoft count me in - whats the salary? Or is it all on commission (assuming that you are to proud to be begging)?
More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack

Re: MS wants nerds to help grandma away from XP

Postby Blackcrack » 12 Feb 2014, 06:30

humm, why they are not help to become an Reactos, because,
they have not much to learn.. if reactos usable ? because,
Reactos it is also GPL have inside an actual technical
only the Surface it's like XP .. all other it is an NT like MS NT Win8.1 it is ..

We are should not forget, the MS it is bad, the Politic around it is bad and the Politic of the states it is bad,
the window.. no more directly, the Software, can not be bad .. Why do we not make possibility to have various facets of Systems.
why do we are not work purposeful for an "multiculty" Ordering landscape with NT with Linux and BSD also Menuet/kolibri Ordering Systems, because they are all unter Open Source AND(don't forget) helps in diffrent way's.. so why shold we are not use the old useful Win-Software further .. in an open source WinNT or even maby in wine also.. so, don't forget, Reactos works together with wine !

Reactos can be our best Frend in the part of WinNT as workstation also ! The Factorys can support Reactos also, because, no more be dependent on American corporations and laws !! No more licence cost of a Copie from an Ordering System. This is an Change for shooting up and put round/knok down Microsoft and the nsa-thing with Open Source . in one Open Source Family ! For this should we are Advertising for Reactos for an Open Source WinNT ! This can be our shoot/ change !

best regards
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Feb 2014, 11:04

Yes Reactos would be a way to replace Windows XP. But If I am not mistaken it has been in an Alpha stage for more than 3 years.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 12 Feb 2014, 12:41

My favorite MS OS is Win2000 Professional. Moved to Xp simply because some programs were forced to quit working or not "made" for it.

All I use Xp now is to run my Camcorder proprietary application and to Citrix to my work.

I do not run any updates since I bought the PC and run just fine.

So who cares if they pull the plug on Xp is going to work unless you run the latest patches?
Last edited by R_Head on 12 Feb 2014, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Feb 2014, 13:02

Well one thing is for sure - now Microsoft thinks XP sucks too :-D
:A

We knew that right from the beginning +1

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 27 Feb 2014, 03:47

Recently I had the pleasure *chuckle* of my first Windows 8 experience. Having been quite disappointed with Windows 7, I have been avoiding any upgrade from XP for some time now... but a neighbour of mine asked me to have a look at his laptop. Turns out it is running Windows 8 and he wanted it to behave in a more familiar manner by presenting a desktop rather than Metro or Tiles or whatever. Having a quick sniff around, it seemed that it may not be possible to bypass Metro altogether so I made a "tile" for explorer so he could just click that to get to what is essentially a desktop. It means an extra step when he uses his laptop but he doesn't seem to mind.

I also recently tried Mageia (now where did I hear about that eh?) and didn't like it either. The default install with KDE has fancy transparent effects and fade effects and background images in the margins of windows (or "forms" if anyone prefers that term). I don't need an OS to be sexy and cool... I need it to make management of hardware and software simple and effective. I don't want a sales pitch, I want an OS that turns my PC in to the tool I was given the impression it should be (rather than a portal to joke emails and videos of kitty cats).
R_Head wrote:My favorite MS OS is Win2000 Professional.
Can you guys hear me cheering at my screen? Okay I am not really cheering at my screen, but if I could get drivers and WPA2 support in Win2k I'd use it. I think I am going to stick with XP and see if I get my ass handed to me in April. Start placing your bets now. :-)

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Feb 2014, 10:04

:lolup I bet that XP will have a long life yet. The problem with Windows 8 is the Uefi MS certified secure boot.
It makes it hard to run live CD's or USB's and thus hard to install other OS's including Windows 7 or lower.

So the hardware is de facto being restricted by Windows 8. Many do not like that - regardless of Win8 functionality. That makes the request from Microsoft somewhat dirty.

They are asking the family geeks to help them put Grandma in a MS jail.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 27 Feb 2014, 16:26

viking60 wrote::lolup I bet that XP will have a long life yet. The problem with Windows 8 is the Uefi MS certified secure boot.
It makes it hard to run live CD's or USB's and thus hard to install other OS's including Windows 7 or lower.

Have you got a UEFI system and have you tried to disable the secure boot crap? How hard is it to just turn all of that stuff off and go back to having a regular PC? :-(

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Feb 2014, 16:56

I think it depends on the hardware. I was not able to even get into UEFI on my fathers box :confused
And no - I do not buy restricted Hardware, so I have no boxes with UEFI here.

I think jkerr managed to turn it off though :think:

For most PCs, you can disable Secure Boot through the PC’s firmware (BIOS) menus. For logo-certified Windows RT 8.1 and Windows RT PCs, Secure Boot is required to be configured so that it cannot be disabled.

So everybody should avoid that MS logo on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 27 Feb 2014, 18:00

viking60 wrote:I was not able to even get into UEFI on my fathers box :confused

That is a tragedy. So you're saying that your father has no choice but to run a Microsoft OS on his box? How is that any less anti-trust than the Internet Explorer garbage of the late 90's? :-(

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Feb 2014, 18:03

Same shite.
It is required that the OEM does it for him etc. etc. - It will be less expensive to throw the thing away.

If you want to buy a lap then bring a live CD and see if you can fire it - if not then don't buy. :snooty:

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 27 Feb 2014, 18:15

viking60 wrote:If you want to buy a lap then bring a live CD and see if you can fire it - if not then don't buy. :snooty:

That is a great idea... there are some folks I definitely need to share that with! :B

S.

Return to “Win News”