Microsoft's anti XP campaign - a "failure".

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Microsoft's anti XP campaign - a "failure".

Postby viking60 » 02 Dec 2013, 23:02

ImageMicrosoft has this odd target of reducing Windows XP's market share to 13 %.

So far this has been a total failure since the market share for November was 31,22 percent.
It was 31.24 percent in October and 31.41 percent in September.

So the market share is practically not reduced at all and Microsoft wants it reduced to 13 %.

It is the mindset of a monopolist to have a target of reducing the market share of one product like that. They seem to anticipate that everybody will replace Windows XP with Windows 8 or at least Windows 7.

This arrogance might backfire since Linux would be an excellent user friendly alternative to XP, and as we have seen - Microsoft had great success with reducing their Market share in Munich; they had even more success with the French Gendarmerie.

Those are hardly what MS had in mind - but they could set a standard for the many professional XP users out there.

Nobody in their right mind would replace XP with Windows 8. Windows 7 has a better chance since computers with Windows 7 do not have restricted hardware.

And a switch from XP to Win 7 is a big jump - not bigger than switching to a Linux distro like Suse, Debian or Ubuntu.

The advantages are obvious: No viruses, no backdoors, no dependencies, more control, and longer life for the hardware.

That has to be tempting....

So maybe MS should not work to hard on that goal. :confused
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Microsoft's anti XP campaign - a "failure".

Postby R_Head » 03 Dec 2013, 14:31

Yes, Win7 is a big jump but not even close to Win 8 or 8.1

I was a bit frustrated when we switched from XP to 7 but we adapted; still have some of that familiar feel.

Bought a replacement Computer for my dad and Win 8 was installed; that was harder for me to use and ever worse for him.
What a complicated piece of crap !

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Microsoft's anti XP campaign - a "failure".

Postby viking60 » 05 Dec 2013, 22:21

Yes and the worst part is that they have made it hard to install anything else. It even is harder to install Windows 7 on a Windows 8 box.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Win News”