Got Windows 8 and want the old look back?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Got Windows 8 and want the old look back?

Postby viking60 » 25 Jul 2013, 10:41

ImageWindows 8 is not popular - the changes have been to drastic.

People simply want the look of the older classic shells back.
And now they can thanks to FOSS.( Free and Open Source Software).

Prefer the Windows XP look? No problem. Is Windows 7 your idea of the perfect Windows experience? No problem there either.
Classic shell will take care of it

Open source comes to the rescue of Microsoft too. It is pretty much like switching a desktop environment in Linux.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Got Windows 8 and want the old look back?

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Jul 2013, 05:05

Man, I wish I'd known earlier on this. A good friend of my mom who lost her home in the Black Forest Fires recently was given a laptop by the gov't. and told to use it explicitly for communication with them for insurance purposes, and to file docs with whoeverall in the gov't.
Problem was, she couldn't. It was a Windows 8 brand new HP laptop, and she couldn't figure how to use a thing with it.
I went through it and gave myself a crash course in Win 8 for her, and manually found the buttons and everything so she could get to a more "normal" windows desktop.
It took just over four hours, but in her grief, she was going out of her mind, and in this case I decided it was worth doing for someone in so much pain.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Win News”