Microsoft in EU browser trouble.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Microsoft in EU browser trouble.

Postby viking60 » 18 Jul 2012, 19:13

ImageMicrosoft had committed to (forced) the EU that there should be a free selection of browsers. They informed the EU that everything was okay that everybody could pick their browser of choice during installation.
The European Commission discovered that this was not the case. The other Browser makers complained too.
The EC is also were very clear about Microsoft facing a fine of 10% of the total annual turnover.
This motivated Microsoft to make a statement where they blame it on a technical error in WIN7 servicepack 1.
Microsoft is offering to extend its compliance period for an additional 15 months in an attempt to appease the European Commission.
Sounds reasonable, but I guess the EC will need an answer to the following question:

Why did this goodwill occurre only after the EC had discovered it?
Surly Microsoft already knew about the "error"?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Microsoft in EU browser trouble.

Postby R_Head » 19 Jul 2012, 12:51

In the way the EU is desperate for cash I would not be surprised they went after MS.

I am not defending MS on this one, just saying, this time the EU will not be lenient and let them slide easy.

All these Bankers and Gov crap might end up in a self destruction.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 19 Jul 2012, 13:43

Yes there is a lot of bureaucracy but their take on this is fair. Microsoft used to have a dominant position in the Browser market so they had to secure that other browser could be selected for the use with Windows.
Microsoft is already attacking Google in Europe for having the same dominant and excluding position in the search market.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Microsoft facing a hefty 7 Billion dollar fine

Postby viking60 » 26 Sep 2012, 10:25

Follow up:
Microsofts conveniently forgetting to let other browsers in for a year, would not go away with the "sorry we did not mean it" excuse. And they face a potential fine of 7 Billion Dollars.
The EU feels they must react to the obvious ignoring of their rulings according to Europe's antitrust chief Joaquin Almunia.

The money will probably not be handed out to Firefox Opera or Google who suffered from this, since it will be used to cover a small portion of the expences the EU administration had in this case.....

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Sep 2012, 23:03

Am in "I don't care" mode on this one, and I'll tell you why. I think the devels have screwed every browser, Windows, Linux, you name it. I haven't seen one come out decently in ages. FF still has its plugincontainer crap that makes the browser on the whole run like the same, and now there are other browsers following suit on that.

I've pretty much had it. Can't wait for coding in school. To be blunt, I think they all suck, from spying to just plain poor programming, to bad code.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Sep 2012, 01:58

So what would the perfect browser look like?

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 28 Sep 2012, 02:08

viking60 wrote:So what would the perfect browser look like?

:A

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Oct 2012, 22:17

In short, they'd work. Get rid of the bloat and the idea that there has to be an add-on for everything on the planet (a lot of it is downright unnecessary), flash fixes, java fixes, security fixes, stop the spying. That's the browsers of olden days, yes, but at least they worked, and didn't have unnecessary garbage. In other words, we need a browser, not something that tries to take us to the moon and fails every single time. Or, how about we get rid of plugins and add-ons altogether, and go straight HTML5.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Oct 2012, 22:34

Yup sounds like a good browser that.

Return to “Win News”