Coapp - Packet manager for Windows

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Coapp - Packet manager for Windows

Postby viking60 » 12 Apr 2010, 18:04

The Mircrosoft programmer Garrett Serack has startet an Open Source project, with the blessing of his employer, that will provide development tools for Windows. Image
The name is "Common Source Application Publishing Platform" (Coapp) and it shall become an "Open Source ecosystem for Windows", like a packet manager system.
The MS employee Garret Serack states that the developers can write MSI installation packets, but the community has not inspired to develop whole repositories of software. Out of his own experience he knows that the self developed and open software, cannot be used by all Win users, or that it even is impossible to build it.
That is why he wants to develop a set of tools, like dependency manager and a defined packet building system. Microsoft has left him free hands in this work.

The project is still in the planing stage.

Hmm....Maybe we should give him a tip about the Linux kernel and then he could take it from there? Nothing wrong with that, now that Microsoft is going "open source".
I think we have to give MS credit for learning from Linux here. If they could stop blackmailing every Linux client except Novels, I would get tears in my eyes.
On the other hand this might be a clever strategy; "Look people we are all for Open Source - now lets get rid of Linux, because you can have it all here".
I sure would like to see that license though.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Coapp - Packet manager for Windows

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Apr 2010, 20:18

I'd like to see them not charge the consumer for it in the end.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 13 Apr 2010, 01:11

I'd like to see that too. But somehow I don't think it is idealism that makes them do this.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 13 Apr 2010, 02:46

Gee, wonder what could give you that idea? *grin*
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Win News”