Goodbye CentOS, hello Rocky Linux

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Goodbye CentOS, hello Rocky Linux

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Dec 2020, 05:17

Red Hat is transforming CentOS into a DevOps-friendly, leading-edge rolling release. Many people liked it just the way it was. Now, CentOS's founder is working on giving them what they want.

Viking would probably be particularly interested in this.

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/articl ... cky-linux/
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

katewinslet09

Re: Goodbye CentOS, hello Rocky Linux

Postby katewinslet09 » 10 Feb 2021, 07:36

Goodbye CentOS, hello Rocky Linux. Red Hat is transforming CentOS into a DevOps-friendly, leading-edge rolling release. Many people liked When Red Hat, CentOS's Linux parent company, announced it was "shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux ...https://surveysinfo.com/gclistens/

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 10 Feb 2021, 09:11

Good find.
I think I prefer the good old solid Centos since that is what I use for my server. But then again I dunno enough about the alternative to be sure
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 10 Feb 2021, 14:32

heeeeeeyyyy.. welcome back :)))))))))) and please, give your phonenummer the Mod's ;) :))))
well i use now Fedora as Serversoft in the basement.. it runs pretty nice :) (blackysgate.net)
Because CentOS.. did you not noticed with to be CentOS suspended/shake off from RedHat ?
should exist a tread because this also in the forum was spoken about .. factory RedHat and CentOS :)

hey.. and good recovery ... Duuuuudeee ;)) !

best
blacky

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 12 Feb 2021, 01:56

viking60 wrote:Good find.
I think I prefer the good old solid Centos since that is what I use for my server. But then again I dunno enough about the alternative to be sure

Well-come our friend... how are you doing?

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 14 Feb 2021, 04:42

viking60 wrote:Good find.

YESSSS!!! My former boss here is back!!!! How the hell are you??? Welcome back! :)
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 19 Feb 2021, 04:42

good to hear from you! we were all a bit concerned. :jackpot
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Feb 2021, 17:15

More like a lot concerned!
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Feb 2021, 11:47

Ah feels good to be missed :) I have been killing spammers here all the time so I have been in the shadows.
I have grown fat and gotten Diabetes so I have taken up tennis again because I have to train to keep it down. Linux wise I have been happy with Manjaro but at the moment Nvidia is pissing me off again since they have stopped delivering drivers for my Old card.
Hot Tip: DO NOT buy Nvidia!

Manjaro will not maintain it anymore so I have to compile the old drivers myself or turn to Ubuntu who are maintaining them.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 27 Feb 2021, 08:34

naahh.. manjarol' ..... i use fedora and it's works well, test it..
a important word is, "RPMFUSION" so, there be all unofficial rpm-packts into what you need,
also the nvidia rpm packages with all what's need !

rpmsystem with dnf and dnfdragora (rpmdrake)
then install NetworkManager-tui and you have a very well network-configurator in ascii like in mandrake (also kann ich nur empfehlen!)
i load up my install skrip's for you and link it here..
https://www.blackysgate.de/files/folder ... all-scrips
may be not really perfect, but so far functional for Fedora 32
and : https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=Fedora_32

and if you want make a update/upgrade, it's easy "dnf -y upgrade" the -y at dnf can you use for "let's run through(the whole command)"
also well for rpm-packet commands.. do you see in the scripts.

i had in the last times no troubles like in centos or other distros.. :s

best
Blacky

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 27 Feb 2021, 21:05

viking60 wrote:Ah feels good to be missed :) I have been killing spammers here all the time so I have been in the shadows.
I have grown fat and gotten Diabetes so I have taken up tennis again because I have to train to keep it down. Linux wise I have been happy with Manjaro but at the moment Nvidia is pissing me off again since they have stopped delivering drivers for my Old card.
Hot Tip: DO NOT buy Nvidia!

Manjaro will not maintain it anymore so I have to compile the old drivers myself or turn to Ubuntu who are maintaining them.

so good to hear from my friend.
diabetes is a tricky issue to deal with (not so much maintaining but remembering to mention it to any dr's you deal with.
as it can cause a whole host of problems including masking many of the key markers of cardio vascular conditions)
both chemically and neurologically!
My first heart attack was silent because of diabetes. (no pain at all)
and i have to watch my feet carefully for injuries
I don't feel minor skin injuries due to constant tingling in my feet from nephropathy.
but i keep my glucose levels within normal ranges with diet and exercise ( and the medications of course)
I dont need injection insulin yet and hope to be able to stay away from it for a while yet

and i know what you mean (spammers) :f :berserk2 :f :berserk2 :f :berserk2
seems like they are everywhere you turn.

we need to find some lawyers who are hell bent on roasting spammers alive :lol:
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 27 Feb 2021, 22:43

Wow, I think I am blessed with good health. Almost 60 in age and I use no madication. Pressure, Cholesterol, Glucose etc.. is all on normal levels. Still able to run 2 miles and no overweight for my height and age. I eat Bacon and Eggs pretty frequently.

One thing that I do is watch what I eat. I read all the lables for contents and you will be amazed how much Corn Syrup is added to stuff that we think is healthy.

On the Linux world, I still on Mageia since 1st release and before that, Mandrake/Mandriva, works well and so far, no complaints on my side.

Return to “Linux News”