Munich drops Linux for Windows 10

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Munich drops Linux for Windows 10

Postby viking60 » 25 Nov 2017, 02:35

Munich has decided to revert their Linux and go back to Windows 10.
There have been issues in communicating since most third parties run Windows.

There also have been complaints about the Office packs which is somewhat strange since documents these days are kept in the cloud where Linux is dominant. Microsoft documents will work just fine in a Linux cloud.

Microsoft's heavy lobbying has been successful. Putting their German head office in Munich might have helped too because it gives lots of tax money for the city.
In many ways Microsoft will therefore pay for the transition back to Windows in the shape of taxes. So maybe this is more of a business decision rather than a technological one.
Munich will be finished with the Windows 10 rollout in 2020 and it will cost 50 Million Euros, It is also the end of life for Windows 10 in 2020 so the rollout will just finish when Windows 10 is not supported anymore.

So Munich tax payers can look forward to a new expensive shift in 2020.

This looks like a classical political decision: It is expensive and pointless The technology cannot catch up with politics.

In terms of security and privacy Windows 10 is a disaster and Microsofts terms are that they can share whatever they want with third parties - these are the standard conditions that Munich must have accepted.

Linux has lost a light tower in Munich.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Munich drops Linux for Windows 10

Postby R_Head » 25 Nov 2017, 03:58

As usual... just grease the politicians with the tax payer's money. In the US, we are pros at scaming +1

In 60s, Lockheed got caught selling overpriced weapons to foreigner gov officials, and give them a slice of the pie as kick backs. :twisted:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Nov 2017, 09:47

Yes the argument was that the users were "unhappy" with Linux. Yet there are no studies regarding that "happiness" of the bureaucrats.

It is politics so who would understand it.....

Of course it has nothing to do with Microsoft placing the Office in the only city that did not use Windows
:A
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/1 ... dows_2020/
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 25 Nov 2017, 21:54

Follow the money.... will lead you to the answer +1

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 30 Nov 2017, 23:33

i wonder how fast they will dump win 10 and or any further windows crap when they get sick of it
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 01 Dec 2017, 04:29

If the Germans are so tight on security, why choosing MS is beyond me. :confused They should develop their own OS.

In the world of politics, maybe someone said that MS prevents terrorism. Some like... Bad stuff happens, not choosing MS some terrorist in a Truck might plow a XMas Market, shit happens... Just saying.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Dec 2017, 15:31

According to ZDNet, it's not Linux persay that's causing the issues.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/linuxs-mun ... ws-return/
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Dec 2017, 16:54

It is crappy organisation - and that will not be any better with Windows.
Going for it because it is the "Market Standard" looks safe, but that is another word for standard US surveillance.
But With CSU and SPD going for it - Linux will be out.

The only chance is that the cost stipulations will be so high that they cannot go for it without being declared idiots.

If I was BMW I would get out of Munich... no need to tell US competition how much taxes they pay.

Microsoft will know, and thereby also the US government...and they want to help US car industry to make America great.....

The security issues have grown out of proportions with Windows 10 and need to be addressed.
(How is that even possible without open source?)

It is not going to be cheap..

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 06 Dec 2017, 06:14

well, if i looking on CSU : http://www.tagesspiegel.de/wirtschaft/e ... 36592.html

the glyphosat éclat..

money, money, money ....

Christ Democratic Union .. bahh liar and bastards in my opinion .. they hold their hands to the trinity of money in my opinion... the whole Germany right should get a right jerk in the right direction to the middle, because the neoliberalism it's not the right course/space, it is a liberalism for Commercial politic and not for the humans, only for the 100dreds on top..

well, to pay the topic, look to Reactos, this is the reason why we should now more support us brother in arms GPL WinNT and should to care for a more faster upcoming of this Community Open Source WinNT System for this setting up to have a honest system on in both way's(Linux and WinNT) , so it is the reason more set to GPL and not for the waste of money and spying and all isolate/sift out , what the real reason is....

best regards
Blacky

Return to “Linux News”