All Android phones vulnerable on AT&T and Verizon

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

All Android phones vulnerable on AT&T and Verizon

Postby viking60 » 24 Nov 2015, 11:19

All Android phones are are vulnerable to "loss of privacy, incorrect billing and data spoofing" if they are on the AT&T or Verizon networks.

It is the AT&T and Verizon implementation of LTE tool that is the culprit:
LTE Discovery is a powerful signal discovery and analysis tool that allows users to observe a wide range of useful network and signal information while aiding you in staying connected to the best connection possible.

Android does not seem to have the "appropriate permission model" for LTE networks so they are at risk.
T-mobile customers are no longer at risk though since the problem has been resolved there.

Apple is not affected.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: All Android phones vulnerable on AT&T and Verizon

Postby R_Head » 24 Nov 2015, 14:34

AT&T has the phones bootloader locked and added another gem, Knox to make it even harder. I am looking for an unlocked phone. Some that I can root and reflash with another version than the AT&T witch brew.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Nov 2015, 04:07

Interesting note here.

Who are the two biggest companies who report everything to the NSA? I mean all calls, texts, etc. that customers make? The first ones Snowden told us about?

Oh, and the real reason this isn't a problem for T-Mobile customers I'm sure and is resolved there is they no longer use AT&T towers. They lost the contract through a takeover attempt by AT&T.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 26 Nov 2015, 05:41

T-Mobile is Douche-Telekom in the USA.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Nov 2015, 12:58

Well they are German so they might have a harder Life over in your exotic part of the world. :-D
The extremely NSA cooperative AT&T get things way easier.....

And it seems to be in the best interest of the Government to encourage AT&T to take over as much as they can given their positive attitude.

So.... It might be a coincidence that those two well known collaborateurs have this problem while the less cooperating T-mobile does not..
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 26 Nov 2015, 16:41

Watch an old flick called The President's Analyst. We are living it today. :greetings

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Feb 2016, 18:28

viking60 wrote:Well they are German so they might have a harder Life over in your exotic part of the world. :-D
The extremely NSA cooperative AT&T get things way easier.....

And it seems to be in the best interest of the Government to encourage AT&T to take over as much as they can given their positive attitude.

So.... It might be a coincidence that those two well known collaborateurs have this problem while the less cooperating T-mobile does not..

:T
Preach it, brother! My mom is extremely ticked off at their handling of email, phones, etc. - she's a customer from before they started this crap.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Linux News”