Munich: Linux stays

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Munich: Linux stays

Postby viking60 » 05 Dec 2014, 08:33

The new mayor of Munich is a declared Microsoft fan and his criticism of the Munich Linux system where he claimed that the employees complained about Limux, could not document his claims.
:A
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3453&p=19206

When asked in the political fora who had complained and what they complained about - he could not document any of it.
So that makes his statement FUD.

Linux stays in Munich.

He did admit that Linux had saved the city €11m and that a switch to Microsoft now, would ditch €14m already invested.

Making his attempts to create a mood against Limux look odd, apart from the tempting prospect of having a taxpaying Microsoft head office in Munich.

There is the slight possibility of some Microsoft lobbying too of course....

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Munich: Linux stays

Postby R_Head » 05 Dec 2014, 14:40

Yup...typical greased politician. Perhaps he grabbed MS money knowing that will not pass and made a lame attempt to push Linux out. If that was the case, that is pretty slick :greetings

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Dec 2014, 04:35

Nice though. I think we can safely say that LiMux won't be going anywhere any time soon. Way too much money involved if he goes back. The cost of converting the systems back, the cost of maintaining them, the license fees, other "hidden costs" - when he's already good to go with what he's got.

Slick indeed. I am betting he is going to keep LiMux, maybe even convert the boxes he hasn't to it. I know I myself would be highly disappointed if he didn't.

Love the LiMux wiki, BTW. If they've taken the time to go this far in, it's highly doubtful they'll pull out. Imagine the fun the devels are having!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Dec 2014, 18:30

I totally agree dedanna +1

Linux has gotten a stronghold in Munich and Microsoft is desperately fighting to get a foot in...

That is the other way around from the rest of the world and somewhat refreshing. Finally there is some real competition as opposed to monopolist power.

The total cost of ownership has proven to be favorable for Linux in Munich, so it would make sense for others to do it too.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Dec 2014, 23:49

+1
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Linux News”