OpenSuse 13.2 is out

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

OpenSuse 13.2 is out

Postby viking60 » 05 Nov 2014, 14:03

We have tested and upgraded OpenSuse 13.1 to 13.2RC.
Now Opensuse 13.2 -Green light to freedom, is officially out.

The most revolutionary change is that OpenSuse has gone for the Btrfs file system for root, where most other distros use Ext4.
For the /home directory Opensuse is using XFS.
The comparisons I have seen do not indicate a big advantage for Btrfs and XFS at this point, but it is eagerly developed and may become the next default.

It looks like Opensuse has been fine tuned and optimized using different file systems on / and /home.

Ext4 is gone.

Together with Snapper Btrfs makes it possible to recover a previous status of the system by using snapshot.
These will be auto-made on each upgrade and you can easily boot into one of them if needed.

It looks good. And now let me see if I can find in what repo (that is not installed) I can find inxi....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: OpenSuse 13.2 is out

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Aug 2015, 20:36

I'm wondering why distros aren't giving the choice of what file system one wants to install. I thought that was Linux - choice.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Linux News”