New Mexico Workforce Connection goes Linux

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

New Mexico Workforce Connection goes Linux

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Aug 2014, 20:59

It's Ubuntu, but I came in to run a job search, turned on a computer here, and it loaded up to Ubuntu! I went up front, and told them that if I'd known that they had a Linux computer I'd been using it this whole time (thinking this was the only Linux computer), and the gentleman told me that just yesterday their IT department changed all the computers to Linux! :)

This is where I worked last, as an employment recruiter. So great to see they've done this, even if it is Ubuntu! :)

Edit: I've just spoken with them up front again, and the guy told me that the computers are on older hardware, and they don't have the funding to get new computers, so this was the alternative, since Linux is backwards compatible - they don't have to do anything further. He also said their IT guy likes Linux.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: New Mexico Workforce Connection goes Linux

Postby viking60 » 30 Aug 2014, 00:28

That is a sensible decision. :B
Even though Microsoft claims that Windows will be cheaper - everybody who has little money go for Linux. That is because they cannot afford the Microsoft "cheapness".
The same thing happened in Spain.
:A
http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2223

Ubuntu is Linux so that is ok. Canonical does have the manpower to support if needed. Those "yelling" and "complain" rights are important when you use the OS for serious business. :-D

I bet the tech guys like it. Linux is kind of addictive once you manage to take the plunge. It can do mostly everything better and faster.
I do feel sorry for them if they are working with the Unity DE though :think:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Sep 2014, 20:09

They chickened out, the arseholes. When I left New Mexico earlier this month, all but two computers were back on Windbloze. Idiots.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Sep 2014, 21:33

+1 I second that
Spending taxpayers money is more fun than saving them :berserk2
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Sep 2014, 23:06

Exactly, plus closed minds... They're very conservative there.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Sep 2014, 03:49

Some of the problem is probably not Linux related, but that the receivers have standardised on Microsoft document formats etc.
Then an open mind does not help much either - Microsoft will be strongly motivating "those others" to not accept what is produced with Linux.

Do you remember how they intervened here

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Dec 2014, 21:07

Of course I remember. They do play dirty but I don't think that was the deal with this. The tech liked Linux too, so... I think it was more a case of chicken-sh!t-ism and poor Ubuntu Gnome layout that did it. It seems that the tech had no clue how to build a decent desktop and didn't want to take time to find out.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Linux News”