Moondrake GNU/Linux 2014 1/2 Beta 3

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Moondrake GNU/Linux 2014 1/2 Beta 3

Postby viking60 » 25 Jun 2014, 23:42

proyvind wrote:The 64 bit isos can be found at the same place as the 32 bit isos.

Yup indeed they start at the middle of the list.
Downloading...
Et Voila that is more like it +1

Moving on..
Picking "use the entire disk" worked just fine. And we are presented with nice choices regarding the kind of computer we want to have:

It is also intersting that the only DE option is LXDE - I am asuming that this is a space thing since I downloaded the CD iso. The DVD iso will probably have more options in the DE department.

Since LXDE is an excelent choice I am happy as a peach ... and moving on.
For testing purposes I just hit ENTER without adding or removing any software - since that is what most users will do.
The nice slideshow starts. and we learn that Mandriva Desktop is a global distro of European origin :T

What bothers me a bit by now is that; that "1 minute remaining" has lasted for several minutes now.....
Well Berserks are impatient :berserkf so I will declare this a failes attempt by now and give it another try...
Added a processor and increased mem a bit and:
:A

I create the user and password and click my way through the network setup without altering anything - and it all seem sto worl just nicely.
Then I arrive at the choose monitor window and I'll simply hit ENTER there to whicj will be the Plug'n Play option.
So far the configuration part looks pretty good:

Regarding that sound card I am advised to try harddrake after installation - so that is what I will do.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Jun 2014, 00:52

Time to reboot then:
:drummer
:drummer
And there I am at a shiny ...CLI without any LXDE :think:
Ok I know that the login manager for LXDE is lxdm so I check the status for it:

Code: Select all

systemctl status lxdm

And there I see that it is not enabled nor started so I start it:
As root:

systemctl start lxdm

Et voila

I log in and am presented with a DE

It does not look to peachy but it seems fully functional so I'll right click and add some wallpaper and make it look a bit better...
It looks better now :-D

So I did make sure that lxdm starts on every boot by enabling it.
as root:

systemctl enable lxdm.service

Then I decided to log into the openbox environment on the bottom left of the login screen (lxdm) and it popped into a fully functional openbox - whicj basically is a grey screen :-D but the menu works when right clicking the mouse - we know howto work with this one
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2666&hilit=openbox
Most of that is done already so we can concentrate on configuring it.
But I am getting ahead of myself here

@proyvind this seems to be the right time to add a repo right?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

proyvind

Postby proyvind » 26 Jun 2014, 01:41

FWIW, I initially didn't upload the cd isos, as they're really meant to be that just one dual arch iso, which I've not given much attention at all for quite a while...
I only generated two separate isos by request for someone, so it's really not a recommendation of mine for testing...

Go with the dvd, I'll be given attention to the lxde (or it'll likely rather be lxqt) dual arch iso sometime soon, but for now I just wouldn't recommend it..

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Jun 2014, 01:56

Ok there are some rough edges here so DVD it is...
I am getting this towards the end of the installation - right before the user is created:

I do not know if this is of any significance - yet. The installation was pretty painless and after a reboot I still do not get any login manager so I need to log in via the CLI.
There I have to enable and start the lxdm.service - as root

systemctl enable lxdm

and

systemctl start lxdm

After that I can log in and there still is no wallpaper but the icons look better than on the CD iso:

In the terminal the back space does not work which is super annoying and there is no browser installed. So I try to install firefox and get the distinct feeling that it is time to add a repository:

The keyboard setup from the installation does not seem to stick so when I do it via the LXDE systemsettings i get

I solved that by manually adding the autostart directory

mkdir ~/.config/autostart

After that I had my æøå 's but that backspace still fubars the use of my LXterminal :berserk2 (it works in leafpad so it is a terminal thing).
So this is as far as I have come

Basically that is where I have to stop because I am unable to add repositories

urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/mdk_personal/repository/openmandriva2014.0/

tells me that there is no media.cfg file :confused

The Grub install works
The net install works; we do get seamless internet connection.

I guess it was unfair to pick the LXDE install - going for a KDE install now...

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Moondrake GNU/Linux 2014 1/2 Beta 3 KDE install

Postby viking60 » 26 Jun 2014, 12:50

The KDE install went through.
There was a protest regarding Libre office script but I OK'ed it and booted into good old kdm:
So far no problem :s
The look and feel is good old Mandrake/Mandriva cartoon look - pretty cool.
The quick launch is the standard menu with a transparent wallpaper of it's own.

There is a bug draconf.real; when I start "configure your computer" from the main menu it crashes directly without prompting me for the root password.
Norwegian locale is there but the æøå is not working on the keyboard, so I had to add the Norwegian keyboard it in the kde settings.
And I dislike that Nano is not installed by default :naughty:
And I cannot figure out how to add repos to this thing? :confused

proyvind

Postby proyvind » 26 Jun 2014, 20:02

A bit tedious right now, I'm not sure whether I merged the openmandriva's list of the old mirrorlist implementation to urpmi or not,
as I previously had deprecated it in favour of a mirrorbrain instance, but as it was running on a VPS paid by through paypal and my account got suspended because someone had tried abusing it (and I've yet to get around to sort it out), I just haven't had the time and motivation to sort it out..
If I've still haven't for next round of isos, I'll just include these repos by default or something in stead I guess..

urpmi.addmedia moondrake http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/mdk_personal/repository/openmandriva2014.0/x86_64/main/release/

urpmi.addmedia http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/openmandriva2014.0/repository/x86_64/media/main/release

urpmi.addmedia --update http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/openmandriva2014.0/repository/x86_64/media/main/updates

urpmi.addmedia http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/openmandriva2014.0/repository/x86_64/media/contrib/release

urpmi.addmedia --update http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/openmandriva2014.0/repository/x86_64/media/contrib/updates

urpmi.addmedia http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/openmandriva2014.0/repository/x86_64/media/non-free/release

urpmi.addmedia --update http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/openmandriva2014.0/repository/x86_64/media/non-free/updates

urpmi.addmedia http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/openmandriva2014.0/repository/x86_64/media/restricted/release

urpmi.addmedia --update http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/openmandriva2014.0/repository/x86_64/media/restricted/updates

proyvind

Re: Moondrake GNU/Linux 2014 1/2 Beta 3 KDE install

Postby proyvind » 26 Jun 2014, 20:09

viking60 wrote:The KDE install went through.
There was a protest regarding Libre office script

yeah, blame openmandriva, it's a package from their repos.. :p
But yeah, I'll probably rebuild a new version with the scriptlet fixed later. :)
viking60 wrote:but I OK'ed it and booted into good old kdm:
So far no problem :s
The look and feel is good old Mandrake/Mandriva cartoon look - pretty cool.
The quick launch is the standard menu with a transparent wallpaper of it's own.

There is a bug draconf.real; when I start "configure your computer" from the main menu it crashes directly without prompting me for the root password.

Thx for noticing, I'll go right ahead and have it fixed. :)
viking60 wrote:Norwegian locale is there but the æøå is not working on the keyboard, so I had to add the Norwegian keyboard it in the kde settings.

Darn, I thought I had fixed that one, well, will do it properly this time then... :p
viking60 wrote:And I dislike that Nano is not installed by default :naughty:

For the dvd, I'll add it to be installed by default for you. :)
viking60 wrote:And I cannot figure out how to add repos to this thing? :confused

Hopefully you won't have to if I have a mirrorbrain instance running again for the next release. :)

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Jun 2014, 06:14

proyvind wrote:A bit tedious right now, I'm not sure whether I merged the openmandriva's list of the old mirrorlist implementation to urpmi or not,
as I previously had deprecated it in favour of a mirrorbrain instance, but as it was running on a VPS paid by through paypal and my account got suspended because someone had tried abusing it (and I've yet to get around to sort it out), I just haven't had the time and motivation to sort it out..
If I've still haven't for next round of isos, I'll just include these repos by default or something in stead I guess..

urpmi.addmedia moondrake http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/mdk_personal/repository/openmandriva2014.0/x86_64/main/release/

Afaict this is the only repo that gets added (with a signature protest). When I update it I get
After the update rpmdrake chrashes:
Programmet «drakrpm» krasjet med følgende feil:

compare() must not be called with a package reference as argument; use compare_pkg() instead at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.3/Rpmdrake/pkg.pm line 527.
Perl's trace:
standalone::bug_handler() called from /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.3/Rpmdrake/pkg.pm:527
Rpmdrake::pkg::get_pkgs() called from /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.3/Rpmdrake/gui.pm:644
Rpmdrake::gui::pkgs_provider() called from /usr/libexec/drakrpm:817
main::__ANON__() called from /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.3/rpmdrake.pm:423
rpmdrake::slow_func() called from /usr/libexec/drakrpm:817
main::run_treeview_dialog() called from /usr/libexec/drakrpm:860

Used theme: Raleigh

Trykk på knappen Rapporter for å melde fra om en feil du har funnet.
Dette vil åpne et nettleservindu på Bugzilla, med et skjema som du må fylle inn. Informasjonen vist nedenfor blir overført til tjeneren.
Det ville være veldig nyttig om du tok med utdata fra den følgende kommandoen «lspcidrake -v» i feilrapporten.

So I guess the repo situation needs some sorting out.
As it is I cannot even install the flash-plugin or icedtea. :confused

Edit: This looks like a current Openmandriva problem, The repos do not respond at the moment with openmandriva either.
https://forums.openmandriva.org/en/disc ... ndriva2014
But the DVD is working in its confined environment.
As a matter of taste I would recommend to switch the default wallpaper and that "Big Brother" penguin background on Quick launch.
It will look cleaner with less motive behind the icons. And that penguin wants to be the star on the front page - for sure +1

proyvind

Postby proyvind » 01 Jul 2014, 21:04

I managed to wipe out my /home last friday right after my last post, so priorities shifted a little..

But at least update versions of drakconf & drakxtools which should fix drakconf has been pushed to mdk_personal repo.

Otherwise I've become aware of that the 3.14.6 kernel that was shipped with x86_64 isos (older 3.13.11 were shipped with i586 isos due to issues with build infrastructure, preventing the newer kernels built from getting to their destination) seems to have some serious issues with running under vms such as (at least) vmware & virtualbox.

Otherwise I noticed several embarassing regressions, which many of were introduced the in last minute, so I will try release some new isos quote soon.

PS: This penguin, while based on with a sense of irony, it's different from the one in 10.2/2005 LE release.
While initially just meant as a prank, a gimp palette bug changing it to a nicer purple background color left it more appealing with response and feedback mostly having been overwhelmingly positive. :)

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Jul 2014, 00:12

Drakconf does fire after an update now :s

When I try to update I get this

So I figured I should try to remove javapackages-tools but when i hit "Install and update software" It crashes:

compare() must not be called with a package reference as argument; use compare_pkg() instead at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.3/Rpmdrake/pkg.pm line 527.
Perl's trace:
standalone::bug_handler() called from /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.3/Rpmdrake/pkg.pm:527
Rpmdrake::pkg::get_pkgs() called from /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.3/Rpmdrake/gui.pm:644

Dette vil åpne et nettleservindu på Bugzilla, med et skjema som du må fylle inn. Informasjonen vist nedenfor blir overført til tjeneren.
Det ville være veldig nyttig om du tok med utdata fra den følgende kommandoen «lspcidrake -v» i feilrapporten.

It runs OK in VBox here though (even if I have seen the Erata suggesting something else).
I have kernel
3.14.6-nrjQL-desktop-1mdk

proyvind

Postby proyvind » 10 Jul 2014, 09:21

viking60 wrote:
proyvind wrote:A bit tedious right now, I'm not sure whether I merged the openmandriva's list of the old mirrorlist implementation to urpmi or not,

Afaict this is the only repo that gets added (with a signature protest). When I update it I get
After the update rpmdrake chrashes:

Perl's trace:

So I guess the repo situation needs some sorting out.
As it is I cannot even install the flash-plugin or icedtea. :confused

Edit: This looks like a current Openmandriva problem, The repos do not respond at the moment with openmandriva either.
https://forums.openmandriva.org/en/disc ... ndriva2014
But the DVD is working in its confined environment.
As a matter of taste I would recommend to switch the default wallpaper and that "Big Brother" penguin background on Quick launch.
It will look cleaner with less motive behind the icons. And that penguin wants to be the star on the front page - for sure +1

I wrote a longer and more detailed postes, then suddenly gost know where it went..
Bah!

For icedtea, I have a fix in my repos, but there might be some issues with the build system still preventing the packages to reach the repos..
I'm unaware of flash issues, yet I'm open to a short investigation. :)

I will be looking at the rpmdrake isssue for sure at least. :)

So I'll just keep it a bit shorter this time ¤%#%
So here I've added a couple of different versions against different background existing the existing one and a new: http://folk.uio.no/peroka/moondrake/artwork/
The existing one is using 60%transparency, while having the stars left in place.
The new once has reduced transparency to 35% while removing the stars from.
I think removing the stars was a good idea regardless, but I'm more pecular about what people would prefer..
To my understanding you weren't too enticed about having neither the existing the theme desktop backgrougd nor the rosa-launch transparent one..
For the theming, over decissions on more general levels has been made long time ago for it to change, and as I realy want to leave some usage for the penguin part beyond bootsplash, I really want to make it ever so little visible more tha just being a bootsplash..

So if you look past your current dissatisfaction with choice of background, what best, what are worst?
For those whom complain about the launcher blocking the background, it's least not blocking the view. ;)
Also as the menu of simplemenu is completely clear and not transparent, I personally don't find it distracting..
Yet if one would find this to be, what would anyone think about reducing/removing background transparency with a very increased transparent penguin ?
I dunno, I'm trying (perhaps out of lack of fantacy) to go along with something like this, any suggestions on how to improve on it, would be welcome.
Any contriubtions in forms of any artwork in existing categories or potentially new ones, would be welcome, and the git tree containing most of of it available at https://abf.io/software/distro-theme
Just fork your own repos and make pull requests, and I'll include it. :)

proyvind

Postby proyvind » 10 Jul 2014, 16:36

I've just pushed an updated release of rpmdrake which I *think* should fix your issue. :)

Return to “Linux News”