Openmandriva is out

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Openmandriva is out

Postby viking60 » 24 Nov 2013, 11:12

After years of nirvana there is a distro called "Mandriva" again The last Mandriva version was Mandriva 2011.
The OpenMandriva community is proud to announce our first release, OpenMandriva Lx 2013.0. The introduction of OpenMandriva 2013.0 represents a major update from the previous version of Mandriva. This is the first release under the new name, OpenMandriva Lx, and is also the first release under the community of the OpenMandriva Association. With that in mind, here are some of the new features: OpenMandriva Lx features new kernel called NRJ as for energy; KDE 4.11.2 provides a clean, unified desktop for OpenMandriva; this release provides a KDE 4.11 installation featuring ROSA's SimpleWelcome launcher, a winner of the latest contest
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Openmandriva is out

Postby R_Head » 26 Nov 2013, 17:57

Finally I can update my system.

Last time I could not install 64 bits since it picks up the Server Kernel and my Wireless NIC did not worked; also my my Hauppauge Win TV.

At least, if I can get the wireless to work I will be happy +1

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Nov 2013, 18:05

Wireless is pretty much the one thing I have not tested. The rest is good enough.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 27 Nov 2013, 14:04

I am dying to get the 64 Bit version to run my Dual Xeon computer at home. That thing is a screamer with the right OS.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 06 Mar 2014, 08:58

http://blog.openmandriva.org/en/2014/02/winter-ended/

Today is a good day in many senses: winter ended and OpenMandriva Lx 2014 Alpha2 is here!

To keep up to high standards we decided to move Beta to RC1 date, and have Alpha2 today,
to deliver you new fun according to the promise. This change does not affect the final release date.

You can download it (Codename for this release is Phosphorus) here:

ABF mirror:

abf mirror - 64bit
abf mirror - 32 bit

Have fun with bug hunting and please report them here:

https://issues.openmandriva.org/

best regards
Blacky

Panther96

Postby Panther96 » 09 Mar 2014, 05:56

Just curious about a few things, as I am just a recent returny after all.

1) How is OpenMandriva, both as a project and distribution? Are both of them STABLE, or does the situation still resemble War and Peace viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2541 ?
2) Is there any community? The forum and wiki seems as if they have been nuked; even the Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMandriva is radioactive.
3) Why is it still called Openmandriva? Weren't there legal issue surrounding that?

My soft-spot for Mandriva still is within me, yet fortunately logos runs this show nowadays. If there are any satisfactory answers to fill the glass however, I may be tempted to take a sip. ;)

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 09 Mar 2014, 09:40

Hi :)

1. it's growing up like any distribution, that is to say, i be at moment in work and have not really an "look in", but
OM Lx should be like Mandriva btw mandrake, the new installer want come definitively, but unfortunately not at Google Code *s*
like i have hear, it is an new installer on programming like them one from Mandrake (like i think) but in other
language like c++ or in QT or something but i think and hope and belive, in direction of the Original Drakinstaller (it is a must be *imo* ! *s*)

2. ohhwww..... hell dammed what the hack !! mus directly writing on Anurag, Rugyada and the other.. holy sch.......
You should look on wiki.openmandriva.org Openmandriva is an young Community and it is a community around the Mandriva who was giving back
from Jean Manuel Croset from MandrivaSA in Paris, The Mandriva Linux it is giving offizially back to the community and
it is now free to developing and an fully Community-Project !..
writing an letter to they are ..

3. i don't know, but i belive, it's give no legal issues because ot was supportet by Mandriva SA in Paris by self, like i ... know... and there be no legal issue !
and i think !!!!! and belive !!!! it's an silence torpedoing from mageia-fellower and "Fan's" who not really know how was build up Mageia in real !
directly with internal (in MandrivaSA in paris) corruption with Ann and there ex-Employee of MandrivaSA who hast build up silence in the backround
and have no waiting for the next supporter who bring an CO of former leadership league, for more information ask Per Oryvin Karlson, where was on this time the ProjectManager of MandrivaLinux !

i be at moment fu..ing skunky angry about this in the wikipedia ! holy hell ...

My soft-spot for Mandriva still is within me, yet fortunately logos runs this show nowadays. If there are any satisfactory answers to fill the glass however, I may be tempted to take a sip. ;)

the glass is half full and, you can put into also to make it more full, i say you, you be highest welcome on OpenMandriva for helping with,
because they are can need all who can help in professional and in the best way help,
Speak with Anurag, Arisel, ColinClose(Itchka), Raguada , the KernelCooker Nicco, Bero, TPG, and all the bests peoples on there..
oohh helll , (and in my opinion kicked out include two people, Mr. ofPres. Rafa Jadot and Wayne Sallee because the fad fails what they does..*bepissedoff*)

go, go to they are and ask with they are and help where you can .. in my opinion can mageia croak !

best regards to you Panther
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Mar 2014, 11:31

Panther96 wrote:Just curious about a few things, as I am just a recent returny after all.

1) How is OpenMandriva, both as a project and distribution? Are both of them STABLE, or does the situation still resemble War and Peace viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2541 ?

The distro is stable. They did a good job in the final phase before the first release (after having fiddled around for years "organizing" the non existing community)
Panther96 wrote:2) Is there any community? The forum and wiki seems as if they have been nuked; even the Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMandriva is radioactive.

The community is going for the "shabby nuked" style. :-D It's fashionable. ....Others think it looks and feels like shite.
The community is very much smaller than in the good ol' days - when i t was always possible to find someone to fight with.
Mandrake/Mandriva came from being one of the top distros in the world to almost extinction. That is pretty much the case for the community too.

Panther96 wrote:3) Why is it still called Openmandriva? Weren't there legal issue surrounding that?

Obviously there is still a link to Mandriva due to the name. They have received permission from Mandriva SA to use it. They are not allowed to use yellow stars though :confused Many think that God has patent on yellow stars - but it's not. It is Mandriva +1

Mandriva claims to be a major contributor to both Mageia and Openmandriva. But I am not sure who develops the Mandriva distro - or if they develop anything at all - I don't think so.
They seem to provide solutions and services based on Rosa.

ashledombos

Postby ashledombos » 09 Mar 2014, 16:16

Panther96 wrote:Just curious about a few things, as I am just a recent returny after all.

Yes, association is stable (for the distro by itself, I consider it stable enough I write this post on a OpenMandriva Lx 2013 distro) but best is to ask to Cooker people or best, QA team :) . About the structure by itself You can see there the financial and activity reports of 2013 https://www.loomio.org/g/yipf07UB/openm ... on-members . Additionally we had our structure recognized with Siren and Siret numbers, we are registered in the French INSEE with Siren and Siret numbers, which is a significant step in our growth . We are now technically able to employ a workforce, to perform activities which make it liable for payment of VAT or corporate tax and to receive subsidies or payments from the state or the local authorities (we are currently waiting for our VAT inter-communautary number).

2) Is there any community? The forum and wiki seems as if they have been nuked; even the Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMandriva is radioactive.

Forum and Wiki, you mean http://forums.openmandriva.org/en/ and https://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/Welcome ? What do you mean by nuked?

3) Why is it still called Openmandriva? Weren't there legal issue surrounding that?

No, in fact since the beginning, there is no legal issues, JMCroset representing Mandriva SA and I, representing the association, signed a license agreement

License Agreement

This license agreement, valid from the date of 1st January 2013 and passed between the following parties: Mandriva SA (the owner and the owner of the trademark "Mandriva") and the licensee, the OpenMandriva Association, an association of law established in 1901 to 8114 Jadot, xxxxxxxxxxx, founded on 8th December 2012.

The holder and owner of the brand "Mandriva", Mandriva SA, and by the same, the issuer of that license has all rights necessary and sufficient property to grant the source code and other items belonging to what is normally called "intellectual property" as described in detail in Appendix A at the end of this document. The issuer of the license grants OpenMandriva association this intellectual property in the terms and conditions described in this document to allow the Association OpenMandriva to continue the purpose for which it was created.

The Contracting Parties as defined by this license (Mandriva SA and OpenMandriva association) engage in the following terms:

1. Mandriva SA by this license gives the association OpenMandriva

a) a non-exclusive and irrevocable worldwide license, without any right to royalties ("royalty-free"), to reproduce, prepare, publicly display, publicly run, distribute, give sub-licenses within association and outside, and create derivative works of the software and derivative releases in the form of source code and binary code

b) a worldwide non-exclusive, without any right to payment of royalties ("royalty-free"), for private use, public, distribute, publicly display the name "Mandriva" only in conjunction with the name "Open" as the new brand name used by the association in OpenMandriva software products, published documents and public events is "Open Mandriva." Any use of the Mandriva brand alone without Open, or logos owned by Mandriva SA. is excluded from this license.

2. Mandriva SA, according to his knowledge, has the authority to give such license. Mandriva SA agrees to notify the Association OpenMandriva any fact or circumstance that could modify or make inaccurate the terms of this agreement.

3. This software, used in any manner whatsoever, in binary form or source code is provided as is without warranty or indemnity and can not be subject to civil liability, criminal, between individuals, between professionals or between individuals and professionals.

This License Agreement is the entire agreement between the parties hereto on the subject of intellectual property and may be amended only by explicit agreement in writing and signed by both parties.

APPENDIX A.

List of software and brand (s) included in the present license agreement:

Software:

Mandriva Linux operating system as available in its development version from June 2012 on servers Mandriva SA owners of the property and copyright of each software included in Mandriva Linux remains the owner of his or her software included, as well as software whose author is Mandriva SA. Brand:

This Agreement is a license (in the terms and conditions set forth in the license agreement) to use the "Mandriva" brand ONLY in conjunction or association with the word "Open" to form the brand "OpenMandriva "or" Open Mandriva. "

List of software and brand (s) excluded from this license agreement:

Software: Mandriva Corporate Server, Mandriva Enterprise Server, MNF, Mandriva One, Mandriva Class and Mandriva Pulse (Pulse 2, Pulse² included) and any software marketed by Mandriva SA from 2013.

Brands : Mandriva as a brand only, Mandriva SA, Mandrake, MandrakeSoft.

Hope it has been a little satisfactory :)

ashledombos

Postby ashledombos » 09 Mar 2014, 16:40

viking60 wrote:Mandriva claims to be a major contributor to both Mageia and Openmandriva. But I am not sure who develops the Mandriva distro - or if they develop anything at all - I don't think so.
They seem to provide solutions and services based on Rosa.

The link between Rosa and Mandriva SA is nearly non existing, in fact. Maybe just existing by the relation Mandriva SA has with OpenMandriva, knowing that OpenMandriva really has a strong relation with Rosa :) I'd say the link between Mandriva SA and OpenMandriva is mainly with the Brazilian office (very strong also)

The French Office of Mandriva SA develops all its products internally (all the products you can see on the website) and there is nearly no relation between Mandriva SA French employees and OpenMandriva (they are more working with Mageia, other prefer Debian)

Panther96

Postby Panther96 » 09 Mar 2014, 21:31

Wow, thanks for all the replies, Blackcrack, Viking, and Ashledombos. I did see https://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/2014.0/Release_plan that you guys are planning on a release on April 18? I think ill give that one a go just to avoid repetition. Until that I wait with impatience ;)

Certainly a lot of things have been clarified for me, though a few remain.

ashledombos wrote:No, in fact since the beginning, there is no legal issues, JMCroset representing Mandriva SA and I, representing the association, signed a license agreement

Then I assume it has only been just rumors circulating around? If so though, may I ask why the official wikipedia page is under ¨Investigation of potential copyright issue¨ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMandriva .

ashledombos wrote:Forum and Wiki, you mean http://forums.openmandriva.org/en/ and https://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/Welcome ? What do you mean by nuked?

What I mean by ¨nuked¨" is that there is nothing there other than broken links or links to nowhere. Human activity seems non-existant. The barren forums are wondering where are the updates http://forums.openmandriva.org/en/discu ... enmandriva are. The basic wiki pages are missing https://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/Users/First_Time in the English documentation, and the French one is even worse https://wiki.openmandriva.org/fr/Accueil (werent the French the largest Mandriva community)? Is there anyone or any project at least to get these pages filled up? I would say documentation is what makes or breaks a distro, which I believe Manjaro has recognized well http://wiki.manjaro.org/Main_Page . I'd be willing to help out with the En/Fr pages this summer if you guys need more hands.

Blackcrack wrote: and i think !!!!! and belive !!!! it's an silence torpedoing from mageia-fellower and "Fan's" who not really know how was build up Mageia in real !
directly with internal (in MandrivaSA in paris) corruption with Ann and there ex-Employee of MandrivaSA who hast build up silence in the backround
and have no waiting for the next supporter who bring an CO of former leadership league, for more information ask Per Oryvin Karlson, where was on this time the ProjectManager of MandrivaLinux ! ....in my opinion can mageia croak !

Now I'm sure there's more to the Cruella de Vil story than we might be aware of. I still wish Mageia the best; its still a free and mandriva family distro after all. It would be nice if they became sister projects rather than rivals. Openmandriva=more adventurous/innovative approach Mageia= solid conservative approach. Are there many or any developers who work on both teams? I could easily see the possibility of both teams working together on the Draketools project, and other innovations to allow the entire mandriva family to keep their edge. Hell, even invite the PClinuxOS people while your at it.

viking60 wrote:The distro is stable. They did a good job in the final phase before the first release (after having fiddled around for years "organizing" the non existing community)

:B

Anyways, I also wish you guys luck with the 2014 LX release. The linux world needs you guys to succeed!
Last edited by Panther96 on 09 Mar 2014, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Mar 2014, 22:03

ashledombos wrote:The link between Rosa and Mandriva SA is nearly non existing, in fact. Maybe just existing by the relation Mandriva SA has with OpenMandriva, knowing that OpenMandriva really has a strong relation with Rosa :) I'd say the link between Mandriva SA and OpenMandriva is mainly with the Brazilian office (very strong also)

The French Office of Mandriva SA develops all its products internally (all the products you can see on the website) and there is nearly no relation between Mandriva SA French employees and OpenMandriva (they are more working with Mageia, other prefer Debian)

Thanks for clearing that up ashledombos. :greetings
I am surprised to hear that Mandriva is working with Debian and Mageia (I had heard about the Mageia server). I thought the Russians had bought Mandriva back in the day, so that there is no contact is surprising to me.

Is it the case that you may pick a Mandriva solution and in effect end up with a Debian server (It is a good server, but Centos would be more RPM "family").
Mandriva SA is in other words depending on the Mageia and Debian communities?

They seem to be producing some interesting stuff there so naturally; now I must try it... :-D

Regarding the right to pay taxes: I am usually able to keep my excitement within limits regarding that (VAT) bit. The technical possibility to employ is nice.
I guess the financial possibility is the crucial one though.

I forgot to mention that the European identity is important - and the importance seems to be growing every day.

Return to “Linux News”