Mark Shuttleworth on MIR

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Mark Shuttleworth on MIR

Postby viking60 » 22 Oct 2013, 10:55

ImageMark Shuttleworth - the man behind Canonical and Ubuntu - has been heavily criticized by parts of the Linux community.
He believes that much of this is politics and strikes back.

The "Not invented here" (NIH) criticism has also been put forward here (by me - regarding Mir) so it is time to let him defend himself.
Here's what he has to say about it:

Mir is really important work. When lots of competitors attack a project on purely political grounds, you have to wonder what THEIR agenda is. At least we know now who belongs to the Open Source Tea Party ;) And to put all the hue and cry into context: Mir is relevant for approximately 1% of all developers, just those who think about shell development. Every app developer will consume Mir through their toolkit. By contrast, those same outraged individuals have NIH’d just about every important piece of the stack they can get their hands on… most notably SystemD, which is hugely invasive and hardly justified. What closely to see how competitors to Canonical torture the English language in their efforts to justify how those toolkits should support Windows but not Mir. But we’ll get it done, and it will be amazing.

The systemD critisism is a smart move because Linux users are very conservative and really do not like things to change to much.
I have cursed it myself from time to time - but then I found out that when you master it; you can master any Linux with it - except Ubuntu....

I will admit that I liked the one single config file in Arch (rc.conf) better though - but I will get over it.
SystemD does represent a long needed standardization in the Linux world. But it is not invented by Canonical....

And he has got that Tea Party stuff all wrong - we party with Beer :cheers

Shuttleworth is proud to be the "Ubuntu Daddy" as The Register has called him - and that he should be. +1

Ubuntu has done a lot to make Linux known.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Mark Shuttleworth on MIR

Postby dedanna1029 » 23 Oct 2013, 18:51

Not to mention the Tea Party SUCKS with nothing but ignorance like his. Other than systemd. I agree with that. I detest systemd as the day is long, although I am pro standardizing Linux to an extent; I just don't agree that systemd is a decent way to standardize. I believe it very buggy and well, robs my choice freedom, because I can not install an alternate system to it now. I much prefer Arch's rc.conf as well.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Mark Shuttleworth on MIR

Postby R_Head » 29 Oct 2013, 16:21

Mark Shuttleworth & Elon Musk both are synonyms of Douchebags.

Return to “Linux News”