The French Gendarmerie is going for 72000 Linux dektops

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

The French Gendarmerie is going for 72000 Linux dektops

Postby viking60 » 02 Oct 2013, 23:41

ImageThe French national police has been working with Open soure for a long time.

This gave the people time to get used to the programs on a Windows platform. The next step is to replace Windows with Linux and keep the programs.
So far they have replaced Windows with Linux on 37000 PC's and by summer next year they plan to have 72000 Linux desktops.

They are using an Ubuntu based custom Linux version called GendBuntu.

The process has been pushed by the Windows XP EOL and maybe Prism.

The Gendarmerie is saving 40 % in comparison to replacing Windows XP with another Windows version.

The French Gendarmerie buy 10000 computers every year - without an OS - and then their specialized central unit installs Linux and deploys them.
That makes the market for hardware without MS-secure UEFI boot - quite interesting +1

It is well organized and must represent yeat another blow to Microsoft. Especially the savings part since Microsoft and HP had a PR stunt in Munich where they claimed that Munich was wrong about the savings.

Now the French have reached the same conclusion...

This is one of the largest known government deployments of Linux on the desktop

I wonder if they ever considered Mandriva - back when they started Mandriva was a good French choise :think:

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: The French Gendarmerie is going for 72000 Linux dektops

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Oct 2013, 01:11

How long do you give them before Microshit gives them an offer they can't refuse?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: The French Gendarmerie is going for 72000 Linux dektops

Postby viking60 » 03 Oct 2013, 01:31

This is the police; they know how to deal with the Mafia methods :mrgreen:
I think the independence and not being tied down to MS is as important as the savings. Once they all get used to this; it is going to get cheaper and cheaper...

And the transfer to Linux cannot be any worse than a transfer to Windows 8 (or 7) both systems are totally new to XP users.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Linux News”