Are We Witnessing the Decline of Ubuntu?

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Are We Witnessing the Decline of Ubuntu?

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Sep 2013, 21:31

This control is perhaps one of the reasons why Intel recently announced that it would not be supporting Mir. In the last four years, Ubuntu and Canonical have gone from welcome members of the free software community to being perceived as mavericks who obey the letter of free-licenses while undermining their spirit. Few, apparently, are prepared to do them any favors.

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/a ... ntu-1.html
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Are We Witnessing the Decline of Ubuntu?

Postby viking60 » 25 Sep 2013, 22:10

Ubuntu started out fine and Canonical pumped some much needed money into Linus desktops and made it the no 1 distro. Ubuntu was just fine until Unity - It might be good on smartphones but they sacrificed the desktop for it IMO.

The not "invented here" syndrome made them start developments where the obvious choice would have been to cooperate with the Linux community.
It looks like they want exclusivity for some components so they have control - and that does not compute with the fact that most of their OS is made by the community and has been presented to them for free.

Regarding Mir I am just curious but I cannot see how it can be a part of Linux with the Canonical license

So I dunno :confused
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 26 Sep 2013, 18:56

Never used Ubuntu and do not care installing it.

The first clue was Mark S and Canonical.

Each time an investor pump some kind of money in a project they want some on return, is the nature of doing business.
However, each time it happens most likely there is a hidden agenda and most of them is not good the outcome.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Sep 2013, 05:33

RedHat is doing a lot of good - and (thankfully) they are making a lot of money. So playing the Redhat role on the desktop market could be just what the doctor ordered.

The problem is that they skipped the desktop and went straight for the phone....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

orion70

Postby orion70 » 30 Sep 2013, 04:11

I switched from ubuntu fairly quickly thanks to patient /g/entoo guys who told me about mint and such.deanna talked about linux quite often she probably did not think i was listening.lol :greetings

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 01 Oct 2013, 16:08

Oh wow. LOVE the avatars B. :)

Oh yeah, I do talk a lot about Linux, and am glad you were listening. :) Turned out to be one of, if not the best thing you could do for yourself.

Now, let's all join in and do a group hug at the same time we say the saying:

"Canonical is not Linux, Canonical is not Linux..."

However, I do not believe what the article is implying. I do not believe that Canonical will go away altogether from this. Many Linux distributions have come back up from similar phases, and had nothing to do it with. Shuttleworth is always there with his mega-rich self to pull Ubuntu's arse out with. They are like the flu every year - they keep coming back.

Y'know, I used to quite like Ubuntu years ago, before Shuttleworth became such a prick... ran it a couple of times out of curiosity. Also gave out hundreds of cds they sent out to us on request to promote Linux. I'd get 100 at a time and pass them out to people. Even still have a couple of them. But now it's a whole 'nother ball of wax.
Last edited by dedanna1029 on 03 Oct 2013, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 02 Oct 2013, 13:22

Shutupworthless and Moldsk are Gov puppets.

They sold their souls for cash and fame on a dirt crossroad.
Last edited by R_Head on 03 Oct 2013, 13:03, edited 3 times in total.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Oct 2013, 01:09

+1
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Linux News”