Manjaro 0.8.7 is "released"

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Manjaro 0.8.7 is "released"

Postby viking60 » 26 Jul 2013, 12:28

Manjaro is getting some deserved attention and now they have released version 0.8.7 which really only is a snapshot since Manjaro is a rolling release.

That means that you only have to update it for the rest of your life without bothersome new "installs".

An update is not identical to the latest downloadable iso though since Manjaro updates everything but the kernel.
There has been some discussion regarding this.

I kind of like the added control the Manjaro kernel management system gives - (but I doubt that a newbie wants a choice of kernels).

So after a full update you have to do a:

Code: Select all

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux310

To get the kernel 3.10 "family" (which is on the iso). This will add the kernel to your system and leave the old 3.9 kernel on your computer.

Once you are satisfied that the kernel works you can remove the old kernel with:

sudo mhwd-kernel -R linux39

Since Berserks never are this careful, we simply replace the old kernel directly with this command:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux310 rmc

I kind of like this kernel flexibility that easily lets you try different kernels (even if it will confuse newbies).
Now you also get the choice of another GUI package manager called Octopi if you do not like pamac.
(I have translated it :coffee_smile: )

Manjaro has not reached level one (1) yet which means that it is still a beta - but I think it has come a long way in a short time and deserves its top 10 place on Distrowatch.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Manjaro 0.8.7 is "released"

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Jul 2013, 14:26

Yeah, I'm debating this, but am also debating going full Arch again... the Mageia installs I just did are making me want to go back to Arch (it was, at least, my favorite distro, don't know how it is now). Manjaro may be an easier alternative, though.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Jul 2013, 17:06

It is totally compatible with Arch - If Manjaro lacks a file you can download it from Arch and install it.
You can use the Arch Wiki for every problem.
Manjaro brings this great kernel management to the table and GUI installers. Also you will not have to do the occasional manual intervention that you need to in Arch because the Manjaro guys do it for you.

The greatest advantage is the Installer.

I use Arch on two boxes and Manjaro on the one that needs to be up all the time for serious work....

I am "Archefied" but Manjaro gets close enough. And I have done enough work on Arch (learned a lot and very satisfying that I have set up my best working systems +1 ) to appreciate the work the Manjaro guys are doing.

And they are all nice guys too - and very aware of not becoming arrogant Linux elitists (there might be one or two in the Arch forums).
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Jul 2013, 19:36

Just one or two? :lol:

Yeah, just need to find space to back everything up for a clean install. That won't be fun, unfortunately.

Soon as that's accomplished, I can do a clean install, and start it off right.

Edit: However, I may go Arch anyway. I kind of like the fact that I get to do everything, the way I want it.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Jul 2013, 20:09

Yes Arch is very good. But it almost is Linux from scratch so you need to set up what you need. Of course you have the fantastic pacman that handles dependencies better than any other.
You have all that in Manjaro too - but there you get a perfect XFCE setup in the default version. Which you can setup in Arch too - it just takes longer.

And to install free or non free drivers is a real dream in Manjaro and you can switch between them and easily remove them, that is not so easy in Arch.
Arch naturally will be less bloated though...

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Jul 2013, 20:40

hhmmm... *thinking
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Jul 2013, 21:31

I forgot to mention that Manjaro gives you access to AUR too - Yaourt works out of the box.

Return to “Linux News”