Linux Mint "Olivia" 15 is released

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Linux Mint "Olivia" 15 is released

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Jun 2013, 06:42

R_Head wrote:I can say I am new to Mint. Will like to use it on an older PC with a Pentium 4; what would be a reasonable amount of RAM? Tried on a Dell D600 with 512 MB RAM and did not wanted to load at all; just hung.

Sometimes our sysadmin here gets a bit zealous, R_Head. I myself prefer to go to the horse's mouth:

Linux Mint Team at their blog wrote:System requirements:

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
----> 512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
5 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
CD/DVD drive or USB port

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2366

He means well, though. :)

Now, repeat after me, and keep saying it until you believe it:
"Regardless of what the logo says in the OP of this thread, and regardless of what Dedanna has said before at the forum, and regardless of the repositories that Mint uses, Mint is NOT Ubuntu... Mint is NOT Ubuntu... Mint is NOT Ubuntu..." :roll:
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Jun 2013, 09:11

:-D Yes and his question was actually how much Mint uses - Not what Mint does recommend.
There is a difference even if it makes a lot of sense to listen to the recommendation.

Here is a story from the good old days when men still were men.

There was this guy who was not that good with his punctuation. He was a military leader and he was informed that a guy was to be executed.

He wanted to stop the execution because he thought he was innocent. so he wrote.

Hang him, not do wait until I arrive.

What he meant to write was:

Hang him not, do wait until I arrive.......Image
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Jun 2013, 12:17

@rolf
here is something for you to try

Code: Select all

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

or

Code: Select all

sudo mhwd -a pci free 0300
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 04 Jun 2013, 00:45

No dice, gave me Kernel panic and X problems. Currently I an using my Sharp LED 60 in TV as monitor, that could be the problem. Also I am running 512MB RAM for now. 2GB is on the way. Right now I am loading Mageia 3 so will see what pans out. The PC should make a good Multimedia system, is going to be doing web surfing and playing videos.; easy tasks. The CPU is a Pentium 4. 2.4 GHz.

Return to “Linux News”