Gnome founder Miguel de Icaza jumps ship!

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Gnome founder Miguel de Icaza jumps ship!

Postby viking60 » 16 Mar 2013, 04:45

ImageMiguel de Icaza co-founder of Gnome has jumped ship and gone over to Mac

While the FOSS community is growing every day, it is rather exotic to see former advocates of FOSS change side.:starwars1
Now there is good reason to suspect that de Icaza has been on the dark side for a while - secretly advocating Apple.
We want to take the opportunity to thank him for Gnome 2. The way Gnome 3 has developed and the mentality behind it makes the transition kind of logical: Gnome 3 was/is moving in an Apple direction where they know best and we should trust them - but while they got ready to receive the applause of the Gnome fanboys - Linus Torvald and the entire community gave the Gnome devs a solid kick in the but.

Expecting admiration that was to hard to take and a certain bitterness has surfaced. it must feel a bit strange to go from advocating FOSS to the most closed system there is.

The strange bit though is that he is jumping from a floating to a sinking ship - which makes this extra surprising. Even more surprising is that the lead Gnome dev has not turned on his Linux computer since October 2012 as he states in his blog - no wonder then that Gnome 3 has problems...
But then again he did replace Gnome 2 with Gnome 3, which now has become the DE where even the devs jump ship - following the Gnome 2 users. Even if most of them do not jump that far....

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Gnome founder Miguel de Icaza jumps ship!

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Mar 2013, 13:40

I always thought he was the Windows advocate, with all the mono crap he wrote (or am I thinking of someone else?).
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 17 Mar 2013, 15:04

No you are on the right track. He is the mono crap guy :-D
He has lost a lot of cred in my book. But I guess it is allowed to change ones mind... Working with Linux and Windows interops and moving on to Mac.... He pretty much is all over the place.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 23 Mar 2013, 15:13

Well, TBH, I'm glad he's gone. Maybe now, others will jump ship, refusing to bring to fruition that which shouldn't be anyway. Maybe then, Gnome people in general would have to wake up to this crapola that is making nothing but arses out of themselves.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Linux News”