Ubuntu now comes with Canonical spyware!

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Ubuntu now comes with Canonical spyware!

Postby viking60 » 11 Dec 2012, 10:30

ImageThe very essens of Linux is the open source so we all can controll the absense of spyware.

Now Ubuntu comes with malicious spyware!
Canonical wants to know what you do and when you scratch your behind.

The naive users will maintain that this does not matter because they have nothing to hide etc. Well it is up to them if the want to take a crap with the toilet door open - I always want to close it first.

Ubuntu, a widely used and influential GNU/Linux distribution, has installed surveillance code. When the user searches her own local files for a string using the Ubuntu desktop, Ubuntu sends that string to one of Canonical's servers. (Canonical is the company that develops Ubuntu.)

Here is how you turn it off - Do it!

One of the major advantages of free software is that the community protects users from malicious software. Now Ubuntu GNU/Linux has become a counterexample. What should we do?

Proprietary software is associated with malicious treatment of the user: surveillance code, digital handcuffs (DRM or Digital Restrictions Management) to restrict users, and back doors that can do nasty things under remote control. Programs that do any of these things are malware and should be treated as such. Widely used examples include Windows, the iThings, and the Amazon "Kindle" product for virtual book burning, which do all three; Macintosh and the Playstation III which impose DRM; most portable phones, which do spying and have back doors; Adobe Flash Player, which does spying and enforces DRM; and plenty of apps for iThings and Android, which are guilty of one or more of these nasty practices.

So we can still say: "Linux does not spy on you - unless it is Ubuntu" :shock:
More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Ubuntu now comes with Canonical spyware!

Postby R_Head » 11 Dec 2012, 14:51

How come I am not surprised?

jenniferjohansoon

Re: Ubuntu now comes with Canonical spyware!

Postby jenniferjohansoon » 06 Feb 2013, 13:10

Oh, heck yeah, I never owned any, but if I did, I'm sure that if I sold right this minute, I'd be filthy rich in no time (and I'm not being sarcastic, either).
That is one case I've been glued to with both eyes, from the get-go. ^^ You know it had to hurt those bastards but good, and I can't help but love it. +1 :arrogant: :arrogant: :arrogant:
jennifer

Return to “Linux News”