Secure Linux bootloader without MS "certification"

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Secure Linux bootloader without MS "certification"

Postby viking60 » 04 Dec 2012, 00:37

ImageLinux can finally have a secure UEFI bootloader without getting in bed with Microsoft. :B
Good for competition and good for you and me. No payoffs to Microsoft are required.

Matthew Garrett, ex-power management and mobile Linux developer at Red Hat, proudly announced last evening, November 30, that a usable release of the Secure Boot bootloader is now available for download.

Mr. Garret did leave RedHat so Redhat is not officially responsible for this
These are good news, but I am not sure how this will work with dualbooting Windows 8/Linux :think:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Secure Linux bootloader without MS "certification"

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Dec 2012, 07:17

Well, two things come to mind on that. 1) Who cares about dual-booting with Win8 - it's total crap anyway.

2) There's one way to find out how it will work.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Dec 2012, 09:41

dedanna1029 wrote:Well, two things come to mind on that. 1) Who cares about dual-booting with Win8 - it's total crap anyway.

Yes that is true. No one will use it for actual work anyway. It is mainly a tablet product and you do not dual
boot those.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 04 Dec 2012, 17:44

Linux is getting so good each year that Dual Booting Malware is not longer required.

:-D

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Dec 2012, 18:00

I don't know about that, P. - the desktops have serious issues (including code ones), and Gnome has seriously tipped a lot of Gnome fanbois like me to the "use Windbloze" point (even though Win8 is total crap).

Look too, how long it took a lot to take to KDE4 when it came out. I thought it was total crap then too, and in a fair few ways still do. Qt has ruined everything, I think. It's there to do the mind-meld between KDE and Gnome, and I myself for only one of the many, have no interest in doing that. We think KDE should be KDE, and Gnome should be Gnome, and Gnome at the very least isn't Gnome any more. The code for Qt is sh!t, too (look under the hood at it sometime).

This also doesn't say much for Kernel3, which this netbook (just over a year and a half old) so far won't even boot without an oops or panic. Systemd, now wtf is that supposed to be for? To automate our daemons? Christ, I want control over mine! Total control I used to have. They have taken it from us in so many ways other than the kernel, too.

They seriously need to straighten up. I'm a very dissatisfied customer with just about every OS out there right now, and Linux is no different. Linux. It's just for breakfast any more, in this silly race to be another Windbloze.

Edit: Oooooooooooohhh,,,, what I just said there.... just clicked...
dedanna1029 wrote:This also doesn't say much for Kernel3, which this netbook (just over a year and a half old) so far won't even boot without an oops or panic.

So THAT's why I can't load a newer distro on this thing?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Linux News”