Ubuntu 12.10 is out

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Ubuntu 12.10 is out

Postby viking60 » 22 Oct 2012, 23:36

ImageUbuntu has released version 12.10.
As usual they are presenting themselves to newbies and Windows users.

I think the Unity desktop is so far away from Windows that they might fail in this communication. But It is some time since I was a freshman that I am not sure anymore.
The only ones who can answer that are the new users...

They have improved search and you can implement your Links (to Facetube and Youbook etc) in the menu panel to the left.

Mostly the message is that you can install it and start using it right out of the box.
The Office programs are there the Social media stuff is there - everything is there, and if not, it is extremely easy to download both free and commercial stuff.

Pretty much like any Linux distro, that +1 Personally I would think that a simple Panel at the Bottom would work wonders in making Windows users feel at home.
Both Unity and Gnome 3 have managed to fubar that opportunity - But there is always LXDE and XFCE.

Now the greatest Linux commercial of all times is about to be launched; Windows 8! Once that is out, the mases will want to migrate to Linux in hordes. They should be offered a more "familiar" system.
The sad thing is they do not realize how fast that can be fixed - since Ubuntu is presenting that horrible Unity stuff...(Again: I realize that I am not the key target customer so Ubuntu are right about speaking to new users and not me, though)
And the Ubuntu guys are right;
It is pretty fantastic that you can get an OS where everything is free and works right out of the box - like Windows - only faster and better. +1
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 is out

Postby R_Head » 23 Oct 2012, 12:39

I read somewhere that MS is going to rig the numbers of Win 8 by offering free Upgrade from 7 to 8 if you buy a Win 7 system now.

So whatever number they get from 8 can be previous sales of 7.

8 is make it or break it for MS.
I think they will make it but is not going to be spectacular.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 is out

Postby viking60 » 23 Oct 2012, 12:54

Yeah you probably read it here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2279

Windows 8 i probably going to make it but I think MS is already working on something to replace it. Linux will probably not know how to exploit this great opportunity this time either - if it fails MS will probably have a new solution ready.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Linux News”