Why cant Linux crack the desktop?

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Why cant Linux crack the desktop?

Postby viking60 » 29 Jun 2012, 23:03

Answer: Because the laptop came with Windows and no one knows how to install another OS - an no one cares.
Good discussion here:
http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2012/06/w ... sktop.html
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Why cant Linux crack the desktop?

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Jun 2012, 02:37

That's nuts. I can't believe a few things about what this hinges on. First of all, there are people like us who have been installing Linux (I mean like, collectively, us, all of us at forums like this one) to both laptops and netbooks and the like for years.

Second of all, I have a hard time believing that there are so few who care about what they're buying.

Third of all, I have a very hard time believing that everything hinges on doggone laptops. That ain't all people own - not by a long shot.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 30 Jun 2012, 17:56

That was a horrible article. Was pretty much pointless and in my opinion was based on a bad experience.

Comparing GIMP with Photoshop... Photoshop is a paid version GIMP comes pretty much bundle like MS Paint does. That was a very bad comparison.

You never compare Paid versions with Freebies. A Paid version is usually better for obvious reasons.

We all know if you install a DVD with MS on it, you get nothing; on Linux you can do something with one DVD.

The only part that I agree with some comments is about vendor support and that part is the biggest hurdle.

For example, we could use Linux at work but Dassault Systems only wrote CATIA V5 and ENOVIA to run natively on MS. To run in Linux you need an emulator and defeat the purpose. CATIA V6 does not even run on an emulator; so we are stuck with MS because of the business software.

However, the servers runs on IBM AIX Samba Servers. That is a win for the Penguin :s

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Jul 2012, 01:55

Agreed, but I think I'll add to that with the one thing I keep on harping abou, that being that Linux ain't got any real innovation. the main desktops, Gnome, KDE, etc., keep trying to be too doggone much like a smartphone or Windows desktop. Hey, copycattin' went out the day I took my first test in skool, along about '65, when I learned I'd get a spanking for it. And they're getting spanked for it. So waaaaa. :boohoo:

With the devels so heavy at copycatting everything else, I might as well write and build my own. Just another same ol' doesn't interest me in the least. I'm too tired of battling what Linux doesn't do with the desktop these days to want to fuss with what it does do.

Sorry, it's the truth.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Jul 2012, 01:56

Sorry, but people crave new and different, and it's what they'll buy, not new and same ol'.

Oh, and BTW, I find Gimp far superior to Photoshop.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Linux News”