Windows 8 secure boot : Linux responds..

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Windows 8 secure boot : Linux responds..

Postby viking60 » 24 Jun 2012, 21:43

There are two different approaches to this:
While RedHat and Fedora decided to pay Verisign for the Windows key to make life as easy as possible for their customers, Cannonical has made their own key that will probably be more excluding than Windows.
This has the advantage that Microsoft has nothing do do with the key whatsoever. But that would also exclude other Linux distros.
If you ask me it is always wrong to reduce the flexibility of the Hardware one way or the other....
More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Windows 8 secure boot : Linux responds..

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Jun 2012, 04:02

I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Jun 2012, 04:05

In the words of Adam Williamson, "I hate you all. You're all asshats."

I hate you Fedora, I hate you Canonical, I hate you anyone who wants to play their little game, do your workarounds, do everything but fight this crap from M$. They should NOT be allowed to get away with it.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

jae

Re: Windows 8 secure boot .. and Arch Linux

Postby jae » 13 Jul 2012, 07:58

So Are we still stuck?" Does anyone know how to dual boot Arch and Windows 8? Thnx, -jae
John Eadie . www.c-art.com . bothandeach@
`Grace does not overcome nature but makes it perfect.'
..... Meister Eckhart, Fragments, #22

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 13 Jul 2012, 13:07

That can be done as usual because Secure boot can be turned off for all machines except for ARM processors. MS has still managed to force secure boot on them if using Win8.
I think Win8 can be run with the "insecure" boot too. Or you have to switch every time you boot into a Arch/Win8.
The ARM architecture is mainly for small handheld units (smart phones blackberry etc).
Sine MS has no market share with those gadgets, people have forgot to protest about it there.

And where are my manners?
Welcome! :greetings
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Linux News”