Fedora Linux 18 Will Boot on UEFI Hardware

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Fedora Linux 18 Will Boot on UEFI Hardware

Postby viking60 » 04 Jun 2012, 19:00

Fedora Linux 18 Will Boot on UEFI Hardware with Microsoft's Help.

RedHat has bought a Microsoft license to be able to boot on UEFI hardware with Microsoft key. :f

The problem of course is that Fedora will perhaps be tied to Microsoft's Secure UEFI efforts in order to enable Linux on new hardware. The bigger problem would be if Secure UEFI wasn't dealt with and Linux wouldn't run on new hardware at all.

I respect Garrett's position, though I have another solution.
Don't buy, UEFI Windows 8 hardware Seriously. Why pay the Microsoft tax? Build your own machine, motherboards from computer stores (newegg etc) will have lots of options and you won't need to bother with the Window 8 pre-load either.

Looks Like the only Linuxes around by this time next year will be Fedora/Redhat and Suse and maybe Ubuntu with its own hardware.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Fedora Linux 18 Will Boot on UEFI Hardware

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Jun 2012, 22:54

No, Fedora/Red Hat won't be with that crap.

Man, I've had it with the "blend with windows" crap out of everyone. They can roll over and die for all I care.

Y'know, I think I'm glad that Fedora didn't work on the netbook now. This makes me want to send them my little "sign".
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Jun 2012, 00:07

Well deping on how well MS has pressurred the OEM's we all might be forced to buy Apple to get our Linux on a box...
Even if Linux is better than OS X and Windows - that is expensive, :think:

I am pretty sure that Canonical will take the opportunity to come up with something that could win over a lot of Linux users though,,,
Edit:
It looks like Arch has a strategy for it:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un ... _Interface
Note: If the UEFI Firmware arch and Linux Kernel arch are different, then the "noefi" kernel parameter must be used to avoid the kernel panic and boot successfully. The "noefi" option instructs the kernel not to access the UEFI Runtime Services.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Jun 2012, 01:25

Good. I was talking to someone today about this (I was seriously about to put out a "boycott Red Hat/Fedora" petition, sorry Adam), and they were saying what I was thinking. There had to be a jumper on the motherboard that could be reset, or an option somewhere in BIOS or something.

I still think one of the two could happen at some point.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Jun 2012, 01:43

It is hard to say. The OEM's could make it an option not to pick UEFI, but this rather indicates that it is not done.....

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Jun 2012, 07:34

Y'know, you're right there, but I'm still going to wait and see on a hardware option. In the meantime, I do think I'm going to put out a petition.

The thing that seriously hacks me off, is instead of putting out their own hardware products, Linux distros just cave to the M$ shit, instead of stand up and fight it, and refuse to play the game. That's crap. Total, complete, crap.

How 'bout Linux put out hardware with a kind of UEFI of their own that makes it to where M$ can't be installed and won't boot? I know like hell Linux could beat the heck out of Microsoft at their own game, if they would just get out and TRY.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: THERE IS NO REAL HONEST INNOVATION IN LINUX. It's always cave to the b.s., and let those bastards win. I'm not down for that. I'm just not. It's more than high time that Linux start doing its own very own thing, and not MICROSOFT'S. :f :f :f :evil: :evil: :evil: :bsflag

I'm sorry, but I'm downright pissed at this.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Jun 2012, 07:45

So, that's two distros plus a commercial one (mostly for servers) down. Anyone else want to get reamed for this Microsoft crapola?
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Jun 2012, 18:46

Y'know, I do believe that there possibly may be an antitrust violation or two on M$'s part. I'm going to write some letters and find out.

http://www.justice.gov/atr/about/antitrust-laws.html
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Jun 2012, 19:26

Yes that might be the case. But it will be hard to prove. Anyone saying they did not voluntarily dance to MS tunes will be executed of course....
OTH this really is an understandable step on MS part. Windows is really that virus infested so they need the HW control. But that does not mean that all other OS'es should be blocked...

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Jun 2012, 21:49

Exactly. It's the other OSes that DON'T give viruses and the like. The only one they need to protect anyone from is themselves.

I'm still going to do that. I think it's worth finding out. They have, in effect, taken a monopoly on hardware by doing that.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Jun 2012, 23:08

Just checked - and it will apparently be possible to switch off secure booting. Fedora has done this to keep the momentum with new Linux users because it will be somewhat complicated.
New Linux users will be blocked by this - but the experienced ones will be able to continue.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Jun 2012, 02:53

New Linux users shouldn't be blocked like that. They shouldn't have to battle that on top of getting Linux installed at all. This whole thing's still crap, IMO.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Linux News”