Canonical: Ubuntu To Soon Ship On 5% Of PCs

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Canonical: Ubuntu To Soon Ship On 5% Of PCs

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 May 2012, 16:59

Michael Larabel wrote:Chris Kenyon, the VP of sales and business development for Canonical, just spoke this afternoon at the Ubuntu 12.10 Developer Summit about what Canonical does with OEMs and ODMs. He also tossed out some rather interesting numbers about the adoption of Ubuntu Linux.

Posted from Phoronix via DiBosco on another venue. Quite interesting, this.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Canonical: Ubuntu To Soon Ship On 5% Of PCs

Postby viking60 » 08 May 2012, 23:18

Interesting indeed!
What bugs me is that the Chinese buy the Ubuntu computer and drop Ubuntu and put a pirated Windows on it. They only take the Ubuntu computer because it is cheaper.
Here in Europe I cannot find a Ubuntu computer so I do it the other way around.
If I am lucky I might succeed in getting a laptop without an OS so I can install Linux myself.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 May 2012, 23:33

viking60 wrote:What bugs me is that the Chinese buy the Ubuntu computer and drop Ubuntu and put a pirated Windows on it. They only take the Ubuntu computer because it is cheaper.

Yes, that got me, too. Another thing that got me is that they centered around one Linux distribution and didn't show anything for any of the others (as usual, only Ubuntu).
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 May 2012, 00:33

Well Ubuntu is Linux and they have made the effort so they deserve the credit for that. I sure would lpve to see computers pre-installed with Arch, Mandriva or Fedora. But they have not managed that. That cannot be Ubuntu's fault.
Ubuntu is also very successful in the server market, that must be because they have cred. as a supporting institution. The server itself is not as good as Debian IMHO.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Linux News”