Linux showing muscles in Munich

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Linux showing muscles in Munich

Postby viking60 » 03 Apr 2012, 13:37

ImageMunich mayor says switch to Linux is much cheaper and has reduced complaints
Monthly IT complaints dropped from 70 to a maximum of 46 since Linux has replaced Windows in Munich. And it is cheaper than with Windows too.
The Munich project includes a self developed Linux called Limux (Ubuntu based) and the costs have been €11.7 million (US$15.6 million).
If they would have only kept the windows infrastructure from 2005 the costs would have been €11.8 million. So they have saved a cool million there already.
But wait there is more....
The numbers of computers have increased significantly so the Bavarians would have had to spend €1.65 million more, on new software alone.
So they have actually saved €2,64 million of the tax payers money so far and that is not counting future Microsoft software licenses.

The Reason the question came up was a question from the party CSU based on a negative experience in Vienna
It is somewhat unclear why this old case was used as a reference for the question - but it would be wrong to rule out Microsoft lobbyism.....

In any case the savings will grow for every minute Linux is in use:
The mayor also noted that if a Windows infrastructure had been chosen, the systems would have had to be upgraded every three or four years. "Just the license costs for 10,000 PCs with current Windows and Office licenses would be more than €2.8 million at the current time," Ude explained, emphasising that for the LiMux project, that amount only has to be paid once. "There are no license fees for Open Source products, all new product versions are free of charge."

No reason not to switch to Linux whatsoever! It will be interesting to see how long it will take for other cities to respect the taxpayers money and put them to efficient use.

I will now go and listen to a record of Ompa music. I don't care what you say - I just decided that I like it:Image

Background here...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Linux News”