Anonymous OS or just a hoax?

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Anonymous OS or just a hoax?

Postby viking60 » 16 Mar 2012, 23:48

ImageThere has been a publication of a Linux OS on Sourceforge that apparently is from the Anonymous group.

Yesterday we starting hearing some buzz about a new project called “Anonymous-OS” - people claiming that it was not affiliated in any way with the group referring to itself as “Anonymous” (See Wikipedia for further discussion of that group), and also that the software itself was full of a variety of trojans, malware, viruses, or backdoors.

It is highly doubtful that the group actually is behind it, and in any case the OS is so infested with security risks that it would be a very bad idea to download it anyway.
SourceForge, and the Open Source community as a whole, values transparency, particularly where issues of security are involved. This project isn’t transparent with regard to what’s in it. It is critical that security-related software be completely open to peer review (i.e., by providing source code), so that risks may be assessed along with benefits. That is not available in this case, and the result is that people are taking a substantial risk in downloading and installing this distribution.

In fact it is more likely that this distro has been released by some PR hungry idiots who try to exploit the media hype around Anonymous:
Furthermore, by taking an intentionally misleading name, this project has attempted to capitalize on the press surrounding a well-known movement in order to push downloads of a project that is less than a week old.

I guess it is hard for Anonymous to come forward and claim it is not them :-D
But it is very clear that they never can release a distro - there will always be the problem of weakness with signatures...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Linux News”